Heart problem, you say? Whatev.

Went to the cardiologist again in July. At which point, I quite stubbornly said, "I don't like this heart medicine and I don't want to take it anymore." That sure got the ball rolling.

What ensued was a lengthy discussion of my asymptomatic atrial fibrillation and my apparent non-compliance, both of which I think are a total crock. I have the same pressure, fluttery feeling in my chest on or off meds (it's anxiety). I'm not being non-compliant, I'm advocating for myself and those are different things.

After much fussing about things, I finally got them to agree that I could go off the heart meds for 1 month while they put me on a heart monitor. 30 days on a heart monitor sounded like a real drag, but if it meant no more drugs then I'd do it. So they hooked me up that very day, taught me how to change the leads and record when I felt something funny and sent me on my way.

It was, as predicted, annoying. It's like having a tail for 30 days, a tail you have to take care of, not sit on, keep discreetly tucked in a pocket, and be careful not to roll over on while you are sleeping. I was so happy to finally take it off after 30 long days (and 1 international trip).

They called yesterday with the results. NO SIGNS OF ATRIAL FIBRILLATION. I'm sorry, did I just have an outburst? Indeed, I did.

Once the fervor died down last summer, I felt pretty strongly that taking meds everyday for the rest of my life was an overreaction. I didn't think I had a heart issue, but I didn't want to be stupid either. It took a few appointments for them to listen to me and work with me, but I'm relieved. Off the heart meds. A few follow up appointments in my future.

So why the big issue last summer? No idea. Probably anxiety and stress. I clearly need to do some work learning to better mange my stress. Ah life.

Comments

Popular Posts