First Days of School 2014

The new school year has begun! Brynn started 4th grade and Grace 8th. I made the sad realization that they will never attend the same school at the same time again. I'm not sure why that seems sad, but it did.

Grace - 8th Grade

Grace is a lovely 8th grader. She is ready to go, excited to be a wiser, more experienced middle schooler. The first few weeks have been great. She loves all her teachers and is doing a good job staying organized and on top of her work.

I love that you can see her red chuck taylors in this pic! 





Brynn - 4th Grade

So these aren't actually pics from the first day. They are pics from the day before the first day of school.

The calendar was quite confusing this year. I'd write down that school start on 8/20. But when I was completing the online registration I noticed that the calendar online said 8/19 was the first day of school.

"Wow," I thought, "I'm so glad I saw this. She would haven missed the first day!"

So the morning of the 19th we get up, get ready, take some pictures and head to school. It is oddly deserted for a first day…I have no idea where 4th grade lines up, so I go into the office to ask.



"Are you guys D track?" asks office lady.

"Yes," I reply.

"Ok, that starts tomorrow."

I don't know quite what to say after that…Brynn was dying as we walked back out to the car. What can I say?

Moms mess up.

Better a day early than a day late.

School websites can't be trusted.

How was I supposed to know first day of school meant teachers only?

As we drive home Brynn asks "Can I wear the same thing tomorrow?"

"Absolutely. And now you've practiced putting it on, so you will be extra prepared."

Two silver linings:
We pulled a fast one on Grace when we got home. We had her totally convinced that I wasn't going to make Brynn go to 4th grade because she was too scared. That charade lasted at least 5 mins. Awesome.

Brynn and I went out to lunch to celebrate one more day together. We sealed it with a rice krispie treat.

On the actual first day of school, I was feeling so horrible I could barely get her out the door, so no pics from the real first day, but it's fine because she was wearing the same outfit. #tendermercies

a tad blurry, but still a keeper

Comments

Popular Posts