Tiny Tot Book Club

I hate stupid books. Stupid grownup books you can just stop reading, but stupid kids books? Oh no. Once I begin reading a book to the girls, I'm committed no matter how stupid. Many, many nights I sit and as I read I think "I so seriously hope they didn't actually pay someone to write this book."

So at night, I try to pick my favorites. Tonight was a good book night at our house. I got to read my current favorite kids book - The Seven Silly Eaters by Mary Ann Hoberman. The girls also love this book, as I tend to read it with waaaayyyy more enthusiasm than I apply to stupid books.

The Seven Silly Eaters is the tale of a mother and her 7 children, each of whom will only eat one, very specific kind of food, which she lovingly makes from scratch. The illustrations are great and as the book goes on poor Mrs. Peters looks more and more haggered and the cello she was so tenderly playing on early pages is pushed to the back corner.

As a birthday surprise the kids sneak down to the kitchen one night, each planning to make their personal favorite meal as a birthday surprise for their mom. That is until they realize no one knows how to cook! When they realize what a mess they have made, they combine all their hopeless efforts together and try to hide it in the oven. When Mom wakes up, she finds a perfect pink birthday cake in the oven and she is sooo happy! Turns out all the kids love it too, because it includes each of the things they each love so much.

My favorite is the last page the house is still chaotic and messy, but the Peters children are helping each other make the pink cake and playing together, while Mrs Peters plays the cello! It's wild, but everyone is happy and content. That's what I aspire to - a lifetime of chaotic bliss and pink lemonade cakes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the kind words, Lisa! And keep reading to your daughters!

Best wishes,

Mary Ann Hoberman
Get Hooked said…
I couldn't agree more! I hate starting a book for the girls and realizing it is one of the dumbest books written. Like you said, you can't just stop after a couple of pages. I've often make up my own stories to go with the pictures, but often times stupid stories have stupid pictures. Go figure!

I'll have to find that storie!

Popular Posts