Outerbanks 2011 - Food Finds

There are things to eat in OBX besides donuts. This year Chad and I really wanted to try a Carolina BBQ place and we found a great one. Corolla Village BBQ in the shadow of Currituck Lighthouse was a winner. It is a little tiny place and you either take your food with you or sit at the picnic tables under the trees out front.

Essentially there are three things on the menu - pulled pork, BBQ ribs and BBQ chicken and it was all delicious. I had a Pulled Pork sandwich which they top with coleslaw. Normally, I put coleslaw just one step above eggnog on the scale of disgusting things I will not be consuming, but you have to try something the way it is meant to be tried, so I had my sandwich with coleslaw and it was delicious.

Grace had the chicken which she inhaled all the while proclaiming "this chicken changed my life!"

That was the day Brynn was having a series of moments that would culminate in kite flying, so I had my hands too full with her to get any good pics, but in my minds eye I see great images of us sitting on rickety old picnic tables under huge trees. They would have been lovely pictures.

We also found a seafood/BBQ restaurant, which is totally not weird in North Carolina, called Fat Crabs BBQ Company. It was yummers. It is ultra casual - as in if you want a drink feel free to get one out of the cooler.  Their specialty is Caroline Blue Crabs, which makes sense, but I don't know how to eat those, so we had other things which were also delicious. They made excellent hush puppies and if you have only had a hush puppy from Long John Silver's then you really haven't had a hush puppy. 

I'm thinking that next trip I'll have a donut in the morning and hush puppies for lunch. Then I'll probably need a Lipator for dinner, but it'll be worth it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi,
My name is Sarah and I'm with Dwellable. I was looking for blog posts about Corolla to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, drop me a line at Sarah(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Sarah

Popular Posts