Blog Reboot.

My mom recently told me about how concerned she was that her computer was broken. "I click refresh on your blog and nothing happens."

She was serious.

Dear mom - good news!! I fixed your computer!! 

So yeah - I took a sabbatical. I thought it had only been a month or two since I blogged, but turns out, nope. Seven. Seven months. I don't know why I'm surprised. I'm no judge of age, space, time or distance.

Don't believe me, huh? Ask me something. How far is it from my house to the school? No idea. 1 mile? Seriously. No idea. None.

So what happened? I don't know. Nothing really happened. I guess I just didn't feel like writing for a while. And then I got a little OCD about not being "caught up" on the blog. And then I just put it out of my mind. It's been at least 5 months since I've even thought about the blog.

So why am I back?

Then there was that thing about the broken computer. (hi mom!)

Chad and I had a kitchen table date last week. What's a kitchen table date?  Well, it's where we migrate to the kitchen after the kids are in bed with the intent of cleaning the kitchen. But instead we sit at the table talking and laughing. At some point we realize we've been talking for hours and we decide cleaning the kitchen is stupid, so we go to bed.

Anyway, we got into a very deep conversation in our last kitchen table date. Something about life and purpose and I read Chad something out of my journal. It reminded me how much I value the things I have written down about my life.

And last but not least, Herriman had another fire. I found myself scanning the house and thinking about what I would take. Turns out, much like last time, all I care about are memories. I want my pictures, my writing, my scriptures. Oh and the kids. Right, right. The kids. Yes, I'd definitely put them in the car.

So all that makes me think that I need to get back to recording my life. It's good for me. I like it.

That feels like a natural segue into what's going on in my life.

[crickets]

Not much I guess. School is out for summer, which means I'm a month out from going through the 6th and 2nd grades again.

Grace turned 11. She's lovely. I'm enjoying her so much. She's funny and smart. She's really coming into her own and I can see her starting to love things that are independent of Chad or I. It's a great time.

Brynn...I love her, but she's driving me bonkers. It's a lot of crying and crankiness. It's the highest highs and the lowest lows. She's either hanging all over me or I'm terrible. It's a lot. It's constant. It wears me out and by the end of the day I feel my patience waning. Chad tells me it's the age, not the child. Apparently 7 was a trying time for Grace and I too. Good to have someone else who can remind me of such things. I don't remember.

What else?

I'm on quite a rainbow sherbet kick. It's delicious and my current go to treat.

I'm working a lot, but things are going well. It's been a successful time and I find myself learning better how to balance the stress of my job.

I made a slow cook roast today. 7 hours on a low heat in the oven. Result? To. Die. For. Wow.

I'm watching an Nat Geo special about the secret service. They are talking about the importance of being intellectually flexible. I think I would be a terrible secret service agent. I don't like to drive fast or be chased, but the concept of intellectual flexibility is awesome. To be able to think, problem solve, react, reason and do it all on the fly when things aren't what you thought they would be - fantastic. I want to be intellectually flexible.

Ok, so I'm going to come back. I'm going to start jotting down the funny things the girls say. I'm going to try to capture the milestones. I may or may not worry about the 7 month time wrinkle on the blog. But I'm going to get back to writing.

P.S. The making my bed thing is great! For some reason making the bed everyday unlocks my ability to be productive. Who knew?

Comments

Popular Posts