Around the world in 80 days...

Ok, not really. But Salt Lake, Chicago, Atlanta and DC all in two weeks. It was a like a client inspired amazing race. They really should do something to make those offices distinctive from the inside. It doesn't take much for me to totally forget what city I'm in.

So my Chicago post was minimalist. But this one will be hotel centric. 

In Atlanta, I stayed at the Ritz Carlton. It's lovely. From my room I could see the giant corporate sign for the Coca-Cola offices. Do you believe in fate? Me, in a fancy hotel room, overlooking the coke sign? Um, yeah, fate is the only explanation.

Here's what I noticed about the Ritz. They don't want you to forget where you are. When you walk in, if you seem hot and flustered, say for example your cab driver just drove 100 MPH from the airport and you feared you wouldn't live to see your young children again, well the bellman will give you a chilled water bottle with a Ritz Carlton logo.

Upon registration they will hand you a letter on Ritz letterhead and a Ritz embossed key.

A few minutes after you have checked in, they call your room and make sure you are happy. They thank you, by name, for choosing the Ritz.

In your room you can rest your head on the Ritz pillow, step out of the shower onto the Ritz bathmat and then, almost as if to apologize for not being able to manufacture it themselves, you can use the hairdryer stored in the Ritz monogrammed linen bag.

They offer human snooze for the wake up call. When they ring you, per your request at 5:45 so you don't sleep through the most important client meeting you will run all month, they ask you if you want a follow up call in 15 mins.

Ah, yes. At every turn you know exactly where you are. The Ritz.

This is my second stay at a Ritz and must say, I'm a fan.

The next night, in DC, I stayed in a Courtyard Marriott. Much more my normal place. Let's just put it this way, my second night there I was really sick. SICK. Went down to the little store in the lobby to buy some cold medicine. Literally stood at the front desk for five solid minutes waiting to pay. Most of that time I had my arm on the counter and my head laying on my arm.

When they finally came, they were lovely and helpful. They offered me tea. But still... it was no Ritz. I bet the Ritz has monogrammed cold medicine.

Comments

Genna said…
I'm sad I didn't know you'd be in DC. I would have loved to see you! We're just 2 hrs. drive from there. Baaa.
Lisa said…
Oh I didn't realize you were so close! Next time I'll email you before I'm coming out that way and we'll make a plan!

Popular Posts