Cafe Rio Copycat

My children love Cafe Rio Chicken Tacos. I used to think Cafe Rio was a reasonably good deal for dinner. Until my children stopped eating the free kids quesadillas and started eating the not free chicken tacos. Then suddenly, inexplicably even, Cafe Rio seemed so much less reasonable...for dinner...three nights a week...but I digress.

So thanks to the Internet, this week I successfully copied the Cafe Rio Chicken and Creamy Tomatillo Dressing recipes. My people were thrilled to their very bones. I even used my griddle to fry the tortillas and melted the cheese inside. I'm cool like that.

Overall, it has been an amazing hit. Grace has had at least two chicken tacos a day since Monday. Apparently they make killer after school snacks.

Cafe Rio Chicken
5-6 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 8 oz bottle of Kraft zesty Italian dressing
1 TBS chili powder
1 TBS cumin
3-5 cloves of garlic

Cook in the crock pot for 4 hours on low. Shred the meat, put it back in the crockpot for an additional hour.

Cafe Rio Creamy Tomatillo Dressing
1 packet Ranch dressing mix
1 C buttermilk
1/2 - 1 jalepeno (seeds and ribs removed)
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1-2 tsp lime juice
1 C mayo
2-4 tomatillos (depending on size, outer papery skin removed)

Blend in the blender!

I take no credit for the recipes - I Googled them, but I'm providing them here so at year's end they'll get slurped into my book and to save you some Googling time. You're welcome.

Comments

Popular Posts