I'm all Matsuri'ed out - Nihon Matsuri Salt Lake 2010

After the karate tournament, Chad and the girls dropped me off downtown and I spent the rest of Saturday working with my mom and dad and the Kokeshi Designs booth at Nihon Matsuri in downtown Salt Lake. (Holy prepositional phrases, Batman!)

All day working next to a gyoza (pot stickers) booth, that glorious smell wafting over the heads of all those cute kokeshi dolls.

So all day long I worked, salivating, waiting until the crowds died down, so I could walk the 1 step next door and feast on gyozas. But when I stuck my head around the corner, that's right, they were gone. Gone! Packed up shop and cleared out. Sadness.

I console myself, that those gyoza were probably from COSTCO anyway, so how good could they have been? Oh, but they smelled divine!

We did well and there were about 70,000 less people than the Cherry Blossom festival, so we had more time to chat, explain the dolls, tell stories. By my count I officially told the story of Oboro, the moon princess, 1142 times.

Mid-morning however I realized that the Under Armour shirt, which had saved me in DC might have been a mistake here in SLC. If I get even one tiny smidge too hot, I get a headache and I live 99% of my life trying to avoid the blasted headaches, so I, of course, starting trying to figure out a way to strip down to just one shirt. But there was literally no where to go! I thought about ducking behind the tent and stripping, but somehow that seemed in appropriate. Luckily across the way there were a row of port-a-potties, so I held my breath, jumped in, changed my shirt and was back before you could say kokeshi.

Mom called me a day ago to tell me that there was a picture of me at the festival on the Nihon Matsuri website.

"Uh oh," my darling husband mutters. "You're not changing your shirt are you?" :)

Comments

Popular Posts