Woke up in Salt Lake, fell asleep in Denver.


Friday, noon: Chad calls and says "don't be mad." Terrible lead, man. Never tell me don't be mad, that alone makes me mad. He proceeds to tell me that Aaron called him and invited him to the BYU game...NCAA tournament...against Gonzaga...in Denver. It will be fun and I should be ready to go by 5PM. I laugh the evil laugh of someone about to commit a homicide, but then hear myself say "ok, that will be fun."

WHAT???

Friday, 3 PM: I text Chad and tell him if has any hope of leaving for Denver during this decade he better come home and help us get ready.

Friday, 3:30PM: Chad is still nowhere to be found. I seriously contemplate Fed-exing the children to Chad's office.

Friday, 4:00 PM: I pack, curl my hair and take a work call at the same time. It is an astonishing feat. I am not done with work, I plan to work in the car.

Friday, 5:00 PM: I realize the children's clothes are still drying. We decide to In N' Out for a quick dinner and then come back and grab them the clothes they need.

Friday, 5:45 PM: We grab the girls clothes and hit the road.

Friday, 6:00 PM: We pull onto the freeway and marvel that "we" were able to pull this off in only 6 hours.

Friday, 8 ish: We realize that A) I get really car sick when looking at the computer in the car and B) the internet/cell service in Wyoming is from the dark ages. I know what kind of network 3G is, but what kind of network is E? Shouldn't E stand for error? Yes, it should, but it Wyoming it stands for supEr, pathEtic, intErnEt. See what I just did there? Anyway, no working in the car.

Friday, 8 ish to Saturday, 1:30 AM: We drive, I marvel at the Wyoming landscape (which I find really beautiful and inspiring), we try to stop for gas without waking up the children, we listen to HairNation and 80s on 8 on XM radio. We know way too many songs on both stations. We finally pull into my sister in law's driveway and manage to get everyone to bed without waking up the entire house.

Saturday, 6AM: Kids are up. Groan.

Saturday, 7:45AM: I am up. Double groan.

Saturday, 9AM: We got to my nephew Tanner's gymnastics meet and marvel and his tiny biceps and 6 pack. We watch him do amazing things. We laugh about how we would hurt ourselves if we tried such activities and we covet, not so secretly, his muscles.

Saturday, day: We go to McDonald's for a post-meet Shake. We eat lunch at home. We have an impromptu family piano concert where Chad wows the nephews by playing the piano with his forearm. Everyone goes to play outside - at the park, tennis, in Aunt Jen's hammocks. I work. We order pizza. Baby sitter comes. All adults leave for the game.

Saturday, evening: We get Jimmered. Gonzaga gets Jimmered. I resist the temptation to give the guy behind me an earful when he tells me you are not allowed to smack talk if your team is up 16 points. Forgive me man, if I think it's inappropriate for your team to hug the ref after a call. Hug him, seriously, going to slip him a hundred bucks too?

Saturday, night: We go home lay on the couch, watch sports center, talk about life, learn how apple TV works, watch videos from last Easter's family Sumo Wrestling event and laugh until we feel sick.

Sunday, morning: Uncle Aaron makes crepes and the children marvel and being allowed to eat pudding for breakfast. We get ready, we let everyone play at the park for a few minutes, we take a few classic "pose by the car you came in" pictures.

Sunday, 11:30 AM: We hit the road.

Total time on the road: 16 hours
Total time in Denver: 34 hours
Family memories and a solidified reputation for spontaneity: priceless

Comments

Popular Posts