The First Day of School Two-Day Extravaganza!!!!!

Two days - we got two first days of school around here.

Yesterday, I sent this beauty out into the wonderful world of 5th grade.

Grace, 10, first day of 5th grade

5th grade! She had some nerves on Monday night. I fell asleep before she did. We did a fair bit of snuggling that night, but no matter what I said I couldn't drag the words "I'm nervous about school" out of her. Not an emotional communicator this one, no words, just shrugs and tears and a lot of mother mind reading. We eventually got her settled in for the night, but in the morning woke to her sleeping on our floor, so she must have had some midnight worries.

Despite all the nerms, the first day was great. Getting ready was easy, she bounded out of the house with excitement. We met her teacher on back to school morning, and as we listened to the teach talk about how 5th grade is the time to be responsible for yourself she looked at me with wide eyes and mouthed "wow!"

"You're ready." I mouthed back.

And she is. She's ready.

At dinner last night she talked non stop. Non-stop! Pretty good for a non-communicator. Here are the highlights:
  • She got the teacher she was hoping for and the teacher is so cool
  • They have new folders
  • Her desk is in a good place
  • They were so busy working they were late for recess this morning! 
  • She has some good friends in her class
  • She might get to be on safety patrol
  • She has so many spelling words this week, but she only missed a few on the pretest
  • No planners until August because the planners were not made for year round school

Finally, I made her come up for air and eat her dinner.

Brynn, 6, on Meet the Teacher Day

On the first day of school, all Brynn got to do was go in for a 1 hour orientation and meet her teacher. Totally unfair, totally ... I know because she told me 50 times yesterday how totally unfair it all was. Everyone else gets to go to school. She only gets to go for an hour. Totally. Unfair.

But her teacher is lovely, her classroom is cute and she has her own desk! That's right, with a tote tray and everything.

It was all wonderful and exciting, but as Tuesday wore on a few nerms set in. What is lunch like? How do you know where to go? What if you get lost? What if you can't find your sister at the end of the day? What if you forget which tree to meet at for the walk home?

And the biggest worries of all - do you learn good things in 1st grade or is it like kindergarten where you learn stupid things like letters?

I did my best to assuage her 1st grade worries, but prepared her for the possibility that they would spend a few days, at least, working on stupid things like letters.

After dinner last night, she laid on the living room floor drawing. "What are you drawing?"I asked.

"A picture of the tree where I'm supposed to meet Grace. I'm going to put it in my backpack, so if I forget where to go I can pull it out and remember."

Genius.

Brynn, 6, first day of 1st grade
This morning, was Brynn's real first day of school and boy, was she excited.

In past years, Grace has always needed someone to wait with her for the first few days while she gets used to the new routine. So Chad and I both walked them to school this morning. I took Brynn to the first grade doors for line up and Chad followed Grace to the 5th grade doors. Brynn found her line, dropped her bag and begged to go to the playground before the bell rang.

Next thing I know, I turn around and Chad is standing behind me.

L: "Where's Grace?"

C: "She wanted to be with her friends. She said she'd see me later."

Um, what? Did we just get the brush off from out 10 year old. wow.

C: "Where's Brynn?"

L: "Playing on the playground before the bell rings."

C: "So much for nerves."

The bell rang, Brynn hopped in her line. Backpack on. Big smile. Waved goodbye and marched off to a new world.

And there Chad and I were, left alone, standing on the blacktop. No baby stroller. No one clinging to our legs. No one crying.

So we went out to breakfast.


At breakfast, Chad promised to text me some questions throughout the day, so I wouldn't get lonely. I was on the phone with a client and I got the following five texts:

"When does Grace get home?"

"I'm bored..."

"Can I make a tent?"

"Can I crawl under your desk?"

"Can I have a popsicle?"

And here I am. Quiet house with a very full to do list. I'm not asking myself what I'll do all day. I know what I'll do. I'll work - in PEACE! I'll focus and not have to shush anyone out of my office while I'm on the phone. But even though I've been looking forward to this day for months, it is still a tad bittersweet.

My babies are off. Finding their way. But they are ready. And I am ready.

walk to school, July 2011

Comments

You have such beautiful girls! I am happy that they are excited about school. Very nice blog post!

Popular Posts