Christmas at Mt. Vernon

For me, no trip to Virginia is complete without a stop at Mt. Vernon. We had planned to go on Christmas day, but the afternoon just sort of got away from us, so we postponed our visit until the day after Christmas instead.

Though the weatherman predicted a lovely day of almost 60 degrees we got an overcast stormy day in the 30s. Uh, Brrrrrr. Luckily at the last minute I thought I better throw everyone's big coats and the bag of hats and gloves in the car. Good thinkin' momma.

Just like last year the estate was swamped with people. We waited over an hour to take a tour of the mansion, but it is always worth it. Thanks to George Washington's meticulous record keeping, when he died he left behind an almost complete inventory of his possessions. The folks at Mt. Vernon have been able to acquire and fill the house with many of Washington's own things. So the mansion is an amazing collection of Washington artifacts and a really accurate refelection of what the mansion woulud have been like when George and Martha lived there.

Yesterday I saw something I had never noticed before. A large key hangs in the front hall of the home. It is the Key to the Bastille which the Marquis de Lafayette gave to George Washington. Artifacts like that are really amazing.

I love to walk up the staircase in Mt. Vernon and run my hand up the banister. It is original to the home and it's pretty exciting to think about all the people who have put their hands on that banister. The germaphobe in me wants to put my hand in my pocket, but the ametuer historian makes me hold on tight all the way up. These are the great germs of history after all! :)

Mt. Vernon also had a camel on display yesterday. Apparently George had a fondness for exotic animals and one Christmas he had a camel brought to Mt. Vernon for folks to see.

I've been able to spend lots of time in the Mt. Vernon museum on many occaions, but Chad's never had the chance. Unfortunatly, because we had to wait in line so long the estate was getting ready to close. Chad really wanted to see "the teeth" as the girls call them, so Chad and I ran quickly through the museum to see Washington's dentures.

Washington had a great deal of trouble with his teeth. Having had a fair bit of painful dental work done myself, I have a special empathy for poor George. These dentures have human and animal teeth mounted to a lead base. Oh they look horrible, but they were truly top of the line in George's day. Now you know why George Washington is never seen smiling in any paintings. He wasn't fond of showing off those chompers.

I love Mt. Vernon. It is one of my favorite places and by far the best historical site I've ever visited in the US. It also makes me happy that my girls love spending time at George Washington's house. And it makes me think I better hang onto my junk because, you never know, someday they may make my house a historical site. Not likely, I know, but my fondness for kitchen equipment, my books, my well worn and favorite bedsheets, my impressive collection of shoes, and my totally ecclectic taste in music, as evidenced by my CD collection ... well it all might turn out to be the stuff of inspiration!

Comments

Popular Posts