The True Meaning of Christmas

Chad and I have begun our yearly efforts to help the girls understand why we celebrate Christmas and that is has nothing to do with toys, cookies or Santa (though that's all fun). So as we talk about Christmas we always work in talk about Christ and His birth. But year after year, they are blinded by the glitz that is Christmas. They are little, so we figure that we'll just keep working on it.

We were getting dinner ready last Sunday and I walked out of the room for a minute only to hear Chad calling me frantically, so of course, being the jump-to-conclusions-assume-someone-has-caught-themselves-on-fire-worrier that I am I literally ran back to the kitchen. "What?!? What?!" I say.

C: "Listen to this. Brynn, where was Jesus born?"

Brynn: "Betheleham."

We looked at each other with that kind of joy and wonder you can only feel when you realize your kids are absolute geniuses. "I did not tell her to say that," Chad said. "I was talking to them and Brynn said I know where Jesus was born and I said where and she said..." "Betheleham," Brynn finished off for him.

Chad: "Ok, now get this." Then looking back at the girls he asked "And why to we celebrate Christmas?"

Grace: "Because that was the day Jesus was born. And we love Jesus."

I think Chad and I may have actually high-fived each other.

P.S. I know I'm misspelling Bethlehem, so please don't send me one of those oh so helpful edit emails. I'm trying to capture how they are pronouncing it. :)

Comments

Popular Posts