Happy 3rd through 5th of July.

There is something really weird about 4th of July on a Sunday. Its like there is no general consensus on when to celebrate. The festivities start Saturday and roll through Monday like a patriotic fog engulfing America.

Still it was nice. Three days of the whole country smelling like gunpowder and smoke, but in a good way.

Friday I took the day off work, which meant sleeping in, having a Mario brothers marathon with Brynn, going out to lunch and then taking the girls shopping.

Saturday we laid around, tidied a bit, I went out for some Target shopping (I started out looking for curtains, but something possessed me to but everyone new bedding to match their curtains), hung up curtain rods, shopped for and cooked a BBQ dinner, cleaned up and went to my parents to shoot off fireworks. I must say Chad loves fireworks. This year we played a great game called guess the name of this firework. There were large Phantom fountains, small friendship fountains, peace blossom fountain, and a Salute to America fountain. Chad's favorite were these fireworks that launched 2 parachute guys about 30 feet in the air. And while those were cool my 2010 favorite was a little baby called the Wrath of Hydra.  Between the fireworks and a preview I saw this weekend for a horse racing movie, I think I've decided to buy a racehorse and name it the Wrath of Hydra. Awesome, I know.

Chad always gets us a grand finale. The last of our fireworks this year was a 3.5 min wonder called Apache Firedance. We thought it burned out, but then it came alive again and blew off another 1 full minute of firework wonder. Then it flamed like a bonfire until had literally turned to nothing but ash. I finished it off with the hose for good measure.

Sunday we went to church, had a simple dinner and then headed to Chad's parents for a soak in their new hot tub. I haven't come to a conclusion about using the hot tub on Sunday. I had a bad headache, so Chad was pretty insistent that we go (Don't tell Chad, but it did help. Shhhh!), but long term it feels like a borderline activity for Sabbath Day observance, so I don't think it is a habit we will get into regularly.  Lots of the neighbors were out doing fireworks and we could even see a few from out hot tubs perches. Festive and relaxing - score!

Monday, I also took the day off. Must observe the full 4 day holiday, after all. We took the girls to see Toy Story 3 and went out to dinner with my mom and dad. Then put everyone to bed by 7:30 to help them recover from their weekend of patriotic merriment.

All in all, a fun weekend. Though the last time I can remember wearing my winter coat while shooting off fireworks was, um, oh that's right...never! Global warming - whatever. :) 

Comments

Popular Posts