Cyberspying. Known to some as, why aren't we asleep right now?

Last night I Googled-earthed our house. Actually, I Google-earthed DisneyWorld, but I hit something on accident and the next thing I know I was looking at a Google-earth picture of my house. And suddenly Chad said "I know exactly when that picture was taken."

"Yeah it was taken when the Senske LawnLife man was parked in front of our house."

"Well, yeah, but it was taken this summer."

"You don't know that. This could be two years ago."

"No. It's this summer. Look and the yellowish square on the back lawn. Remember this summer we camped in the backyard and we left the tent up for the week, so the kid could play in it? Then when we put the tent away there was a big yellowish square in the lawn. {pointing to screen} Look, big yellow square."

Sure enough. Turns out this summer you could see the big yellow square in my backyard from space. Crazy.

Big yellow square in the lawn and the Senske LawnLife man parked out front. The irony of that is just hitting me now.

Anyway, after we looked at our own backyard, we decided to Google-earth around the neighborhood and may I just say wow, almost everyone has a trampoline. That's a lot of trampolines.

Then I Google-earthed one of my childhood homes - one I could remember the address of. I didn't exactly look familiar, but I didn't spend a lot of time gazing at it from space when I lived there.

Then I Google-earthed Temple Square. Did you know from Google-earth the gardens on the roof of the conference center make it look like there isn't even  building there? If you didn't know you were looking at a building, well, you'd never know you were looking at a building.

Then Chad and I had a lengthy converstion about whether it was responsible to provide this kind of information to terrorists. "Want to blow up X, but need to know what it looks like from space? There's a free app for that!" I think Chad said "uh huh." Not quite the level of outrage I was expecting. Ok, so it wasn't really a lengthy conversation. That was pretty much the whole conversation.

Then we realized it was almost 1 in the morning and Chad asked me why I got on Google-earth in the first place. To look at hotels in proximity to DisneyWorld, I said. Turns out that didn't really happen. But now I know where all the good 'tramps' in the neighborhood are, so the exercise was not a complete waste of time.

But pretty close.

Comments

Brammer Family said…
Our house has a pretty good tramp. Oh, and we also have a trampoline.

Popular Posts