If I said I was fine, I'd be lying.

Whenever anyone starts a statement with "hey, no pressure..." That statement is going to be followed by a question and well, you can bet your boots there's gonna be pressure.

"Hey no pressure, but could you take those 90 documents you have been writing and make them one ginormous document?"

"Hey no pressure, but we are out of {insert milk, eggs, gas, underwear}. Are you going to have time to take care of that?"

"Hey no pressure, but are you going to finish writing that thing we talked about?"

"Hey no pressure, but you have a homicidal furnace that is trying to gas you in your sleep. Do you want to buy a new one?"

"Hey no pressure, are you coming to bed ever?"

Yep, hey no pressure statements are followed by a command. Sure, it's a command wearing a fake moustache, so you think it's a question, but it's still a command. That 'command in a question's clothing' is then followed by the phrase "that'd be great."

I hate the phrase "that'd be great" almost as much as I hate the phrase "hey no pressure."

So in the spirit of this post I say to each of you...

"hey no pressure, but could you each send the link to my blog to 5 friends, so I can start to build a readership, so one day I can finish my novel, sell it, people will actually buy it and I can make a living doing something that doesn't make me want to stick a red pen in my eye? That'd be great!"

but seriously, no pressure.

P.S. moustache is a very hard word to spell. Took me like 8 tries and finally I gave in and looked it up. "Hey, Merriem Webster, no pressure, but could you simplify the spelling of moustache for us poor, tired, non-French people who need to blog at 11:40 at night without all the dag-on homework? That'd be great."

P.S. (squared) my new favorite word is duplicative. It has absolutely nothing to do with this post. Just thought you would like to know.

Comments

scotty said…
"Ah! Yeah. It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great." luv you lisa
Get Hooked said…
Well I'm not actually sure I have 5 friends, let alone 5 friends that read. So I'll try, but I can't gaurantee anything.

And that is how I get out of "no pressure" requests.

I'll try works like a charm. Then people think I actually care! Good luck getting readers.
I do anything Ruthann ask's me to do.... So I read your post, good luck with the novel...
Lisa said…
Hi Hilary - I too do whatever Ruthann tells me. She probably had no idea she has that kind of power :) Thanks for reading. Hope you come again!

Popular Posts