40 days of darkness.

Last week was a long week. So long. Living in quarantine. Taking care of a very, very sick child. And yet, some of my best mothering is done in crisis. I like taking care of my babies. Even when it is hard and I'm sleep deprived. That's when they need me the most and something in my spirit rises to it. I can't explain it.

By Sunday, people were feeling a bit better. But I didn't want to take them to church. Better not to push it, I thought, but they were feeling better. Evidently better enough to bicker. So Chad took us on a drive.

Even though we missed church, Sunday turned out to be so lovely. Mostly because it was SUN day. Sun real live sun! I knew it was up there somewhere. Today, at 8:24 AM and there is literally no sun to be seen. It's like it hasn't risen at all. Like someone swallowed the sun. Dark, gray and heavy. Ah winter.

It was hard to send Grace out into the gack this morning. It felt ominous. But she bounded down the hill happily. Not a care in the world. She met her friend and they headed off for a day of crossword puzzles, geometry and the water cycle.

Brynn is home. She woke up and said "my tummy hurts. I need to stay home." I'll admit, I usually don't believe her when she says things like that. She's very dramatic. The girl who cried "hurt." Everything is the worst she's ever had. Or the saddest. Or the best. She rides life at its poles. (Plus she's forever spitting into the toilet and telling me she threw up.)

Hence when she comes to me first thing in the morning and says sick, I usually don't believe her.

This morning she said she was sick. I asked how sick. She made some strange gagging face and then threw up.

So turns out - pretty sick.

Looks like we are starting over. We got one healed and brought one down. Darkness has descended once again. Let's just hope we can stay out of the hospital this time. (Sigh)

Comments

Kristen said…
Zach is throwing up today. Second day back on track and he misses it!!! I hope Brynn gets feeling better soon. I have to make a run to the store. Do you need anything for Brynn?
Lisa said…
Thanks, Kristen. I'm well stocked from last week, so I think we are ok. I appreciate it.

Popular Posts