Home again.

I arrived home at 1:49 AM. Ouch. The New York trip is not an easy trip. I do not find NY to be conveniently located from my home. On the way out I sat in between two men, friends, flying together. I rather graciously offered to give up my middle seat and let them sit by each other, bu they said no thank you. One liked the window, one liked the aisle. They were happy in their assigned seats.

Why, I wondered, would you take a five hour flight and not sit next to the person you are traveling with? How will you talk to them?

And then I figured it out.

You will still talk to them. You will talk over the poor woman crammed into the middle seat between you. You will still pass things back and forth, either in front of her or behind her. You will poke each other. Laugh. You will open the window shade 9000 times in an effort to appease each other when the sun shines too bright, but one of you still really wants to see out. You will chatter away in a foreign language, so even the joy of eavesdropping is gone for poor middle seat woman.

Sheesh. It was like traveling with my kids, only worse, because I couldn't threaten to strip these guys of their privileges.

My colleague arrived to the meeting fresh off the train from Boston, raving about how relaxing the train is. How much work she got done! It was so relaxing and productive. How great for you, I wanted to say, I listened to my ipod for 4 hours and 40 minutes while I rested my chin on my knees. That was neither restful or productive, but if I did get to practice my patience and my contortion-ism, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.

The flight home was not as bad, but very turbulent. Not quite typhoon turbulent, but consistently turbulent. Dips and bumps. Eesh.

Got to SLC my bag was literally the last one to come down the magic baggage shoot and hit the carousel. I always get very nervous when I'm the last one standing there, but thankfully they didn't lose my bag.

The shuttle was running behind because of last night's snow storm, so they packed it full and we made 4 stops before my house. Serves me right for living in the boonies I guess.  My flight landed at 11:42 PM and  I walked in the door at 1:49 AM. I set the alarm, kissed my kids, brushed my teeth, took off my clothes and put on a Tshirt, and slipped in between the covers at 1:52. Record time.

And it was warm! Chad remembered to turn on my heating blanket so I could come home and snuggle in warm covers. {love}

I'm having kind of a cranky morning. I can tell I'm getting sick.  I'm tired and have a headache and a sore throat. I blame New York. And cab drivers. And airlines. And shuttle drivers. And snow storms. And work. And clients. And the economy.

So happy to be home.

Comments

Jennifer said…
Does it help at all that my return train trip was significantly less productive? ;)
On your flight out, were they speaking in Swedish? If so, you have just lived out every event endured at the good ole in-laws. Super fun. I completely feel your pain.

Popular Posts