Invisible love.

When I was a kid Valentines came in envelopes. They folded, like cards are supposed to and fit inside little envelopes. The envelopes actually had adhesive and you licked them to get them closed. The best Valentines were the ones where your friend stuck a few of those conversation hearts inside said envelope.

Yes, the bulging Valentine envelope of yesteryear is a great memory.

So imagine my dismay when I realized that in the modern world Valentines no longer come with envelopes. Most of them don't even fold like real cards. They fold, sure, but they fold right through the picture, so you basically giving your friend a picture of a cat with a big crease across its face. Screams love, doesn't it?

For the last few years, I've waxed nostalgic as we've filled out Valentine 'postcards.' I've pined for envelopes.

Tonight my Valentines expectations went even lower. I opened up the box of Mad Libs Valentines with pencils, which Grace so carefully selected a few nights ago at Target. I looked in the box and saw 16 pencils...no Valentines.

Fantastic, either modern Valentines are now invisible or this box is a defect.

Chad, thrilled to the gills I'm sure, accepted the assignment to go back to Target at 8PM, two nights before Valentines day and rectify this situation. His assignment? Either another box of Mad Libs Valentines with pencils or enough boxes of something really cool for Grace to give the same thing to everyone. I look forward to seeing what he comes up with.

And to the good folks of PaperMagic (distributors of Mad Libs Valentines) Empty boxes? Not cool my friends, not cool at all.

Comments

Kristen said…
I share your nostalgia! I loved the little envelopes!

Popular Posts