And my children dwelt in a tent.

The post I am about to bring you reminds me of a story, so let's start with that.

My senior year of seminary each class had to do a skit. Keep in mind we were seniors at that point, so seminary was getting decidedly less cool. Also keep in mind that this wasn't wimpy old Utah seminary where you go during the day. Oh no, this was early morning seminary. 6AM. Ugh.

I think by our senior year the seminary teachers were so happy we were coming they let us get away with a fair bit of levity. And our teacher bribed us with hot, homemade cinnamon rolls once a month. Cinnamon roll day had excellent attendance.

So anyway - skit. Our class decided to do a skit about 1st Nephi 2:15. Not familiar with that one? It reads "And my father dwelt in a tent." That's it. For our skit we set up a tent on the stage and dressed a kid in a bathrobe. He walked across the stage, climbed in the tent and we (all standing around the tent) recited the scripture "And my father dwelt in a tent."Curtain.

I'll tell you what, we thought we were pretty darn clever. Ah, the glory days of seminary.

So fast forward - here's a more updated tent story.

We are on year round school, which means that every couple of months I have to figure out how to work while the children are home all day. One of my slicker tricks is to let them do things during "off  track" that I don't let them do otherwise. This consists of getting out toys I've put away, painting, doing crafts, etc.

I also pay them $10 for every chapter book they finish while off track. This tactic ensures at least some quiet time during every day. Just as the bickering reaches a fever pitch I say "who wants to go read their book?"

"Oh mom, seriously!!" (This is usually said with a fair amount of disgust, thus reminding me that I'm both old and lame.)

"Ten dollars!!" I reply in a sing-songy voice.

That is usually followed by motivated feet heading off to find books, blankets and quiet places to snuggle.

I'm sorry. I believe in bribery. Deal with it.

This off track came up pretty fast. I wasn't prepared with crafts or activities or long forgotten toys. So on day 1 of off track two sets of eyes looked at me like "so what are we gonna do now?"

"What do you want to do?" I asked.

"I don't know. Um...build a tent?"

For the record, I hate tents. I think childhood tent building is the devil. If children could fold blankets that would be one thing. But when a tent comes down it's a lot of work for mom. But this is off track, so I said:

"Excellent - a tent it is!"

"Really?!?! Awesome."

Next thing I know the children have constructed a massive structure, using every blanket and sleeping bag in the house. They have spent every day since rebuilding and perfecting the glory that is the tent. 





They've also been sleeping in the tent. That's right. Sleeping in the tent. You have deduced correctly - I'm not making them clean it up at night.

They have pretty much brought every toy they own down to play with in the tent. There have been great imaginative games going on in the tent. They've had a complete ball.

I'm not gonna lie - the tent is driving me crazy. Everyday I have to remind them to leave me a path to my office so I can get to work. I'm dodging toys left and right. I haven't seen the carpet in two weeks. Really - the tent is making me bananas, but they are loving it and it's been one of our more pleasant off track times.

One more week and the tent will come down. The toys will get put away. Order will be restored in the basement. Children will go back to sleeping in their beds. Chad will once again be able to watch TV and exercise at night.

But I have a feeling long after life returns to normal, my children will remember this as the off track where they dwelt in a tent.


Comments

scooter said…
your so freakonomics
scooter said…
your so freakonomis

Popular Posts