We're paved with good intentions.

Grace (11) and Brynn (7) Brigham City Temple Open House
In my defense, this plan was a GREAT idea. How was I to know that so many other people would also think it was a great idea? I'm a trendsetter - you can't hold me responsible for that :)

But seriously, it was a great idea. We have a day off, so let's take the kids to the Brigham City temple open house. See?? Great idea.

I kind of had to drag Chad there by his teeth. I think mostly he didn't want to drive 1.5 hours in a shirt and tie on his day off, but I mentioned things about eternal progression and the testimonies of our children and he got in the car.

We made decent time, stopped for a quick lunch and then passed the temple on the way to our assigned parking lot. There were a suspiciously large number of people outside. That should have been a clue, but it wasn't.

We parked our car and had to wait for about 20 mins while 3 shuttle buses full of people went ahead of us. We're talking BIG buses. That should have been a clue, but it wasn't.

We got off the bus and there were literally mobs of people in every direction. That should have been a clue, but it wasn't.

the line outside
Then we saw the line. The line wrapped around the ENTIRE city block the temple takes up and for some reason we got in the line! So here I am standing in the blazing sun, sweat literally running down my back and I, ever the optimist, hear myself saying things like "no worries, it'll go fast."

"almost there."

"that's a nice breeze."

"I'm sure it will breeze again in a few mins."

"hang in there - shade up ahead."

"It's not as hot as summer."

"won't the air conditioning in the temple feel good?"

All the while Chad was making this face:
 
Oh that's right he wouldn't let me take his picture. Apparently he didn't want his reaction documented for our posterity.

Do you know what he said? Not one word. (Sweet boy)

So after 2 full hours of standing in the sun, while the lady behind me (who I didn't know) kept picking hair off my dress (She can't help herself, her husband says to me. Well she should try, I think to myself. Think. I only thought it. You can't pop off on people in the line waiting to get inside the temple.) We finally turned the corner and made our way toward the parking garage (where the tour starts).

We get inside the garage and as my eyes adjust to the light I realize the line continues to wrap around the entire parking garage. It snakes in and out and while I can see the temple door, it will be at least 500 people before we get to it.
the line inside - weep

Then Chad said something. And what did he say, you ask?

"This is exactly like Space Mountain. You stand in line and think we're almost there. Our turn is next. Then you turn the corner and BAM. More line. We just got Space Mountained."

The very unfortunate thing about being inside the garage is that while it was much shadier than outside and it turns out that outside did have a breeze. The parking garage would probably have had a breeze too except for the fact that the parking garage walls were acting as a barricade to any outside air. (I'm sure that will be nice in the winter, but yesterday garage walls were not my friend.) So we slugged through about 30 more minutes of line.

Now I should add an important editorial note here - I can't get hot. When I get hot I get very sick. I've spent all summer trying to stay very cool. I've had a few complaints about how cold the house is. I got a letter from the power company saying I'm using 34% more power than my neighbors and I was like "Only 34%?? That's pretty good!"

Yeah, so after a summer of trying not to get hot, I thought I would spend Labor Day standing in a 2.5 hour line in the 90+ degree weather. I must say, I did a bit of praying in that line. Chad did lean over to me at one point and say "You've got a headache don't you?"

"Nope," I said "Running on pure faith, baby."

But seriously I didn't have a headache as a result of this adventure and that is a tender mercy.

Ok, back to our story. So we shuffle toward the temple door and all the while I'm trying to think of deep metaphors for life that I can use in a talk one day. Finally, we're almost there (for real this time). I take Brynn by the hand and say a silent prayer as we cross the threshold. "Please let them feel the Spirit, even just for a moment."

We stepped into the temple and I swear the whole world changed.

Brynn loved everything. Everything was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. She loved the font and the oxen. The ceilings (which were amazing). She loved the dressing room and the "marriage rooms" and the paintings.

On the drive there I had tried to describe some of the rooms we would see. The Celestial Room, I told them, is always the most beautiful room in the temple. It is supposed to remind you of what it will be like to be in heaven with Heavenly Father.

As we started down a long hallway, Brynn could tell we were getting to the Celestial Room. I looked down and see that she has covered her eyes with her hand. I lean down and whisper "What are you doing?"

"I don't want to spoil it," she says with so much good and innocence my heart could burst. "Tell me when, ok?"

So just as we were about to step into the room I whisper "Ok, now."

She uncovers her eyes and I watch as she tips her head back to take in the massive chandelier in the middle of the room. Bright turquoise blue eyes, filled with wonder "Oh wow," she breathes out softly. "Just wow."

I would stand in 10 lines for that moment. I would wear sunscreen next time, but I would stand there.

We bought everyone an ice cream cone for the ride home. Because in a day filled with questionable plans what's one more ill-conceived decision? Let the kids eat chocolate dipped ice cream cones in their church dresses while riding in my new car. That's not a recipe for regret at all. That should go swimmingly. Swimmingly indeed, if you can swim in ice cream.

We made it home, had dinner and did our nightly scripture reading before bed. We are in Isaiah chapters and when someone read the phrase "sucking child" the laughter reached a fever pitch. "Go to bed," I finally said, "I'll try to drag you all to heaven tomorrow."

someone please tell me how there were 12,000 people in line and I didn't get a single one in this picture?!!

If you have questions about what temples are and why we build them, click here.











Comments

diana said…
We went to the openhouse too! Love your post about your experiences. It is always worth it....at least once you get inside. :)

Popular Posts