Lullabies.

Grace, 2006
When I was a little girl, my mom sat on the edge of my bed every night and sang Rock a Bye Baby. This went on at least until I was 7, maybe longer, I don't remember, but every night. That's what I wanted to hear - Rock a Bye Baby.

My children have different tastes in lullabies. Grace has always been partial to Silent Night. It started around 3ish and she would request it as her night time song, long after Christmas was over. In the many years I've been singing Silent Night, I've added a variation or two to the melody.
Brynn, 2007

Brynn favors I Am a Child of God. Simple, all three verses.

The rest of the nighttime serenade is made up of songs I love, mostly hymns. I Feel my Savior's Love, How Great Thou Art, Nearer My God to Thee, Where Can I Turn for Peace, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.

I love to sing, but I must say, I never sound better than when I'm perched at the edge of someone's bed, stroking soft hair and soft cheeks, watching little chests rise and fall in a peaceful rhythm. Sometimes I sing long after I know they are asleep because some moments, once passed, are gone forever.

Someday they will be little old ladies and the soft refrain of a favorite hymn will ring in their ears. I hope they close their eyes and think of me.

Comments

Popular Posts