Tooth pulling and blizzards.

I know, I know. What about that DisneyWorld post? Well, I'm basically done with it, but it's not very funny. I remember the trip being funnier than I have been able to capture, so I'm still tinkering. I'm wondering now if the sleep deprivation I was experiencing at the time was affecting my humor sensor. Sometimes when you are REALLY tired things just seem funnier than they otherwise would have been. So, I might post that soon. Or I might not...whatever.

But today is a day for the record books. Two equally epic events, whose interconnectedness has thrown off my whole schedule.

Event 1
Utah is scheduled to have a Blizzard tonight. A big one. A raging mother of a snowstorm. We've been warned to prepare, to avoid unnecessary travel, stay in our homes, have our flashlights, food storage and emergency radios at our fingertips. They've been using media scare tactics for 2 days to get us to come home from work early and hunker down.

Event 2 
Last night Grace cracked a tooth. It bled and looked really icky, so I texted a picture to my sister in law (the dentist) and she said it was a baby tooth. It would likely need to be pulled and all would be well. So I called and left a message for my dentist. They called back this morning and we scheduled an appointment for 2 PM.


Events Collide
Today, as all of Utah prepared for the "Blizzard of 2010" Chad's office decided to close early and send people home. Chad calls me and says "I don't feel good about you driving all the way to the dentist this afternoon." Now Chad so rarely tells me what to do, that when he does I try and listen. So I called and canceled the appointment.

Then I picked Grace up from school because she was expecting me to check her out. I told her we weren't going the dentist and she broke down in tears. Apparently between yesterday and today the sad little tooth started to hurt. So now I have a problem - sad, crying child with a hurty tooth and big, bad blizzard. What's a mother to do??

This mother decides to call her Bishop/Dentist and see if he will squeeze in aforementioned child for a hurty-tooth-ectomy. He graciously agrees to see her and we head off.

A LOT of numbing and much 9 year old bravery, Dr. Bishop pulls the tooth and we are back on the road heading home hoping to beat the storm, schedule to descend with fury at 3 PM. (Turns out Bishop is a talented dentist, which I never doubted and has a pretty sweet office.)

4PM Chad decides part of his blizzard prep should be taking a nap.

4:30PM I realize 9 year old has been biting on her numb lip and has created a huge cut on the inside of her lip. How awesome.

4:35PM I fix 9 year old an ice pack, call my mom and ask her why in the world 9 year old would chew on herself. Mom reminds me that while kids act all grown up, all big and bad, they generally know nothing. I hang up the phone and wonder if her statements somehow apply to her 33 year old child. I brush this thought off, however, as the utter nonesense it surely is. :)

5PM Not a snowy flake. Chad goes for blizzard supplies - gas and oil for the snowblower and Coke. Apparently he doesn't want to be snowed in with me while I'm jonesing for a Coke. Whatever.

5:40PM Chad, returned home with his spoils, calls us to the kitchen to see snow has started to fall. I look and declare "I think that's just snow blowing off the roof..."

5:41PM We walk to the front windows to see if it is snowing in the front yard.

5:42PM We determine it is, indeed, just snow blowing off the roof.

6:20PM Snowmageddon begins. It is a lovely, light flutter.

6:45PM It is so beautiful I'm expecting to see little elves and snow fairies dance across may backyard at any moment.

6:50 I feed the children dinner and the swelling in 9 year old's lip has gone down considerably, so I give her a break from the icepack.

Now, 7:20 PM, about 1 hour into Snowmageddon, dinner is done, children are playing. Chad just walked in from a church meeting. He says its picking up...I remain skeptical. I might don my coat and boots and go walk around outside for a few minutes to test the intensity of this so called blizzard.

I hold out hope for a decent blizzard, but I don't know, so few things live up to the hype these days. On the other hand the tooth fairy lucked out with a totally legitimate excuse why she will forget, er, um, be unable to come tonight. Even a lame blizzard can have its upside.

Comments

Keryn said…
What a marvelous post. We, too, are feeling the letdown of baby blizzard. Maybe it will be worse tonight?

(Even BYU closed. BYU doesn't close, ever. Crazy.)
Brynn said…
Blizzard shmizzard. I was hoping to see some crazy white-out conditions. I'm totally disappointed.
We too saw Dr. Bishop today. Luke got a really sweet fake mustache as a prize. Hope the lip shrinks back to normal soon.
ha ha...needed that! Jason left for work at 5 am so he could leave at 2 to beat it. Whatever!
Lisa said…
Keryn, do you remember how many times we called BYU during our freshman year to see if school would be canceled? We all being from non-snowy places and therefore too delicate to study in the snow. And it was never closed, not once. They even canceled Mo Tab practice tonight. I thought for sure the world was coming to an end. Looks like we live to see another day - what a let down! ;)
Brammer Family said…
I cleaned out the garage so Jeb's car could come in. CLEANED OUT THE GARAGE! I feel so duped.

Popular Posts