Alone is not a threat.

I feel Fall coming on. Yay! Fall is my favorite, followed closely by Winter (both chronologically and in order of favoritness).

Chad and the girls hit Sniagrab last weekend. Hooray! What's Sniagrab you ask? It is Bargains spelled backwards and 'round these parts it is the mother of all sales that marks the onset of snowboarding season. Sniagrab is fast becoming a Daddy-daughter tradition. They are now outfitted for winter sports. Chad is a manaic for a $50 snowboard. I was kind of surprised when he only came home with one. He also outfitted the girls with coats and ski gloves (the kind that cannot be worn to school, under penalty of death). He got himself a new coat and made me play the guess how much game. I hate that game.

Apparently everyone will be going up to the mountain this year. Chad asks me everyday if I want to learn to ski. And everyday I respond that I know how to ski and I don't like it.

"But you don't really know."

"Yes, I've been twice. I hated it both times."

"But you didn't have the right stuff. We could get you better stuff."

"It's not about the stuff. Skiing is all things I don't like - wetness, heights, speed."

"You could take real lessons."

"Listen to me. No matter what you say I will never think strapping two popsicle sticks to my feet and going careening down a mountain is fun. Never."

"But if we all ski, then every Saturday, all winter long, for the rest of your life we will all go up into the mountain and you will be left alone. Alone in the house. All day."

He says that in all seriousness. He said this as if that were a bad thing. As if that were going to dissuade me from staying down here in the valley. As if the threat of loneliness were going to inspire me to take up skiing. It's like this boy doesn't know me at all.

My favorite thing is aloneness. I love the quiet of a house where no one is making noise. I like fixing myself a lunch that no one else will eat. I like curling up in my bed to read or watch a movie start to finish with the certainty that I will not be interrupted.

Oh silly boy, alone is not a threat. Alone is a reward. I love alone.

So Sniagrab to your little heart's content. Take the children and their tiny toothpick legs up into the mountains and I'll be right here when you come back. Waiting with a hot dinner on the table, after having spent a glorious day alone. :)

Comments

Kristen said…
I am now caught up on your blog and that is important to me because I love your blog :)! I read it silently and laugh out loud and then I read it to Cam so we can both laugh out loud! Your humor is like medicine for me. I can now go to bed happy and cheerful! Thanks!

Popular Posts