Back in the swing of things...

Today we resume normal life. Off track is fun. I love having the girls home, but getting back into our normal routine is good too.

This morning the house is clean and quiet. Everyone is off for the day. The dishwasher and washing machine are humming and I've accomplished a ton in only 2.5 short hours. I'm not showered and dressed yet, but that would really be pushing my luck on the first day. Productivity is like exercise - you have to pace yourself.

I took last week off to hang out with the girls in their last week of off-track. A whole week off and you know what I learned in that time? I like having time off. I like sleeping until 9. I like going somewhere with the kids everyday. I like going to Costco on a day other than Saturday. I like reading for the sake of reading. I like having no appointments, no clients, no nothing.

I did get a jump start on the week by spending a few hours last night catching up on things after my week off. Normally, I make the purposeful choice not to work on Sunday, but last night I hauled myself down to the computer to get a jump start because I was having serious return to work anxiety.

Rather than dreading it, I decided to just return to it and get it over with. In three hours, I worked through my emails, made a Monday to do list and knocked out an entire design doc for a client call today.

And you know what I learned? I like working. I like giving my brain hard problems to solve. I like creating something out of nothing. I like my clients. I like having a long list of things to accomplish and knowing that I can get 'em done. I like getting up and getting the day going (ok, well I like getting the day going.) I like having set things that have to happen in a day. I like the routine of working.

And I like to polarity of liking to work and liking not to work. I think it means I can always find a way to be happy. That's pretty good news for a Monday morning.



Comments

Popular Posts