A day of divers and talking dogs

Today was Chad's Summer Family work party - I know, a little late, but at least they had it. The market has been so volatile the last few weeks, I really expected them to cancel it, but it a true demonstration of optimism - we partied.

We were supposed to go to Lagoon for Frightmares. I wasn't super excited, as I'm not too into scary things or Lagoon, but in happy turn of events for me, it snowed today. I imagine that roller coasters in a snowstorm wouldn't be too much fun (not that they are such a swinging good time in normal weather).

In a last minute change of plans we went to the Mayan and to see a movie at Jordan Commons. For our non-Utah readers, the Mayan is sort of like the Tiki Room on steroids. It is decorated like the jungle, there are treehouses to eat in, lights to make it seem dark and stormy, birds in the tress and best of all cliff divers!

I've never been to the Mayan before and it was better than I expected. The food wasn't great, but I've definitely had worse. To their credit they have really good salsa and I'm quite the connoisseur of salsa. My luke warm feelings were totally turned around, however, by the kids. They absolutely loved it!

We got to see 4 diving shows. Not nearly enough if you ask Grace or Brynn. They were both totally thrilled. The actor/divers walk through the restaurant when they aren't flinging themselves off of the rocks and the girls were especially taken by the chief and his big "feather hat." We literally had to drag them out of there to go see the movie.

And now I get to the movie...Beverly Hills Chihuahua. What can I say? We should have stayed at the Mayan. Oh man, about 20 min into the flick and I was already over the talking dogs. Too bad for me --- an hour and five minutes to go. I think the girls liked it, but it was like a hot poker in the eye for me. I saw Chad check the time on his phone 6 times (and Chad usually has a much higher tolerance for stupidity than I do).

The only thing I found funny in this movie is the beginning when Jamie Lee Curtis leaves her precious and ridiculously pampered pooch with her niece. After bristling at the suggestion to leave her in a kennel after the dog's nanny cancels, Curtis insists that the niece watch her. You then see them walking together to the car as Curtis goes on in great detail about the dogs schedule, habits and care requirements, even hading her a notebook detailing it all, so nothing will be overlooked.

Sound like any dog we know? (cough) em, Sophie! I find it no coincidence that my mom named her own precious pooch "Princess Sophia." Sorry mom, I know we keep that dog on a tight, well documented schedule for purely medical reasons. I'm just trying to come to grips with the fact that you love the dog more than me :) (Right now my mom is making that cute 'ooohhhh' pouty sound she makes and saying "I do not." Do I know you or what momma?!?)

Anyway, don't go see this movie. It's really stupid and I am literally dumber for having seen it. All in all though, we had a great day. The girls had so much fun and we got to do two things we never would never would have done if we'd had to pay for them.

Comments

Popular Posts