Recipe Swap--Chicken Corn Chowder

On my never ending quest to encourage my kids to eat food that doesn't end in nugget here's a great dinner recipe. Got this one from my mom and it is a winner. I used a rotisserie chicken because if you have to roast your own chicken it isn't a quick meal. Start to finish this takes me about 45 minutes to get on the table.

Chicken Corn Chowder

2 slices of bacon-chopped
1 medium onion-chopped
3 T flour
1 lb potatoes -- peeled and chopped (about 8 cups)
6 C chicken broth
4 C shredded cooked chicken (2.5-3 lbs roasted chicken)
1/4 to 1/2 C heavy cream
1 pkg frozen corn

In a large pot over medium high heat cook the bacon until the fat renders and the meat starts to brown. Add onion, reduce heat to medium. Cook until onions are soft and translucent (3-5 min). Add flour and cook, stiring until the flour taste cooks off, but the flour has not started to brown (approx 3 mins). Add potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked through. While potatoes are cooking shread chicken. Add chicken and frozen corn and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in cream to taste. (You can add anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 C and of course I add 1/2). Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Last night we garnished it with a little bit of cilantro and fresh lime juice, but I've had it with no garnish as well and it is delicious. I mean starts with bacon ends with cream, how can you go wrong? yummers :)

Comments

Amber said…
Thanks for posting this recipe! My Mom used to make this soup when I was a child, but she wasn't been able to find the recipe for years, so I am so excited to make this again...I love anything with bacon and/or cream...lol
I love comfort foods and this has "comfort" written all over it in my book. Yum! Thanks!
Annie said…
This look yummy-town. Can't wait to try it!

Popular Posts