They're alive!

Chad's Car
The flat tire couldn't be fixed. "It has started eating itself" is what the guy told me. I literally have no idea what that means, but I didn't want to know, so I didn't pursue that comment. Luckily the tires were only a year old, so they were still under warranty. I had to take it to another store where the tire was in stock and wait for 2 hours because whatever they use to balance the tire freezes when it is 15 degrees outside (can't say that I blame it), but it's done.



My Van
As anticipated the alternator was totally dead. Totally. That car was running solely on the battery and you're right cars don't like that. We were blessed to have the battery last all the way to the mechanic's shop, so we didn't have to have it towed. The mechanic called me and the conversation went a little something like this...



Mechanic: "Yes the alternator is dead, but the good news is that the manufacturer has replaced the part with a new, better, more efficient alternator."

L: "Oh well that's good."

M: "Oh, but there is bad news too. The new kind of alternator doesn't fit with the old driving belt."

L: "Of course it doesn't."

M: "So you'll need a new belt in the car too."

L: "Can I get an old alternator?"

M: "No, but you wouldn't want one, this new one..."

L: "Wait, wait. Am I going to notice the difference between my old alternator and my new fancy alternator when I drive?"

M: "Probably not"

L: "Ok then don't tell me. Just make the car run."

M: "Should I have them check the other belts while they have it all taken apart."

L: "What the heck. Knock yourselves out." And yes I really said knock yourselves out. I say these things. It's part of my quirky charm ;)


He calls me later to tell me my power steering belt is also cracked. Should he replace it? Will I have to come back in 2 months when it finally breaks? Yes. Then yes.


It took them two days but when I went to pick it up they had washed the car, which I appreciated.

It was an expensive car day, but I'm happy to report I didn't have to sell a kidney to pay for it. I'm now officially zipping around town with a complete set of kidneys in my newly washed car with her fancy new alternator and fashionable belts and nary a warning light in sight. Yipee!

Comments

Popular Posts