Creepy Crawlies...

Today was Grace's 2nd grade field trip. Her class went to the Bean Science Museum at BYU. I had a major meeting this morning, so a few weeks ago I told Grace I wouldn't be able to chaperon. Yeah, not the right thing to say. She dissolved into a million crocodile tears and I felt terrible.

Chad and I have always said that as long as she wants us around, we are going to be around. (And who are we kidding even when she doesn't want us to be around, we're going to be around, it will just be waaayyy more annoying to her.) So I said I would work something out and then I had a genius flash - Chad could chaperon. He was very excited when I gave him the assignment - NOT! But to he made it work. I know it wasn't easy to take the day off. He's very busy with work lately, but he did it and I'm really grateful. I was even more grateful when I heard about their adventures today.

When they got home this afternoon they wowed me with tales of school bus rides, scavenger hunts, picnic lunches, shopping in the gift shop, and games of tag.

Then they started telling me about all the things they learned on this adventure and honestly, it all gave me the willies. Are tarantulas poisonous? How do the defend themselves against attackers? How many babies do cockroaches have? How do cockroaches defend themselves against attackers? How do starfishes eat if their mouths are inside their bodies? Let me just say in response to all these questions - you don't want to know. Seriously. I have the willies just typing about it all.

And if the creepy crawly stories weren't enough, they whipped out the camera and showed me all the creepy crawly pictures they took. I said to Chad "I was sort of hoping you would get a few shots of people." To which he smilingly quipped "well, Grace wasn't as impressed with the people."

As she walked me through her pictures I started feeling less bad about making Chad go and thinking this was the perfect field trip for him. I went on the field trip to the children's theater last year, and let's be honest, that's way more my style. After all, no one at the play whipped out a giant trantula (and thank goodness for that).

Chad told me most of the kids fell asleep on the bus ride home, but not Grace. She forced those big green eyes open, not about to waste one minute of the glorious school bus ride.

Her retelling of the whole day was just awesome. She obviously loved it. She loved going, she learned a lot, she got to sit by Chad on the bus, all of it was wonderful. I asked her what the best part was and she said getting signed out of school early. "That was my third time getting signed out, mom. I love getting signed out."

Comments

Popular Posts