Nicknames: The Evolution of Affection

I tend to be a rather formal person. I make my kids call adults by their proper titles (Bro. and Sis. or Mr. and Mrs.) I have a hard time calling anyone older than me, by their first name.

But in less formal settings or within my "circle of trust," I really like nicknames. There's a certain intimacy and affection that comes with a nickname. I like how they evolve the longer you know someone and the closer you feel to them. Everyone I love has a nickname, even if it is just a shortened version of their given name. (You're trying to think about what I call you right now, aren't you?)

I thought it might be fun to capture what I call some of the family and what they call me. So here's a post for the girls, so when they grow up, if I'm not around, they can do a little reminiscing about how much I love them. (Don't worry girls, I won't be dead, I'll just be eating my way through Italy with your Father.)

Grace
Gracie (You are starting to hate this less. You still correct everyone outside our immediate family, but you let us call you Gracie now.)
Gracie-baby
Gracie-bear
Gracie-girl
Bit Bit or Bit (This is an interesting nickname. I called you Bit, almost exclusively, until you were about 2 years old. Grandma Noma calls babies Itty Bitties. I must have picked that up, because when you were a baby I called you Bitty. Then I shortened it to Bit or Bit Bit. I don't use it much anymore, but it must be etched on your heart, because when I do say it, you respond instantly.)

Brynn
Baby Brynn (I started calling you this when you were about 10 mins old. I looked at your dad and said you know we will still be calling her Baby Brynn when she's 3o right? So far, that appears to be an accurate prediction.)
Baby-bear
Brynner
Brynner-bear
Stinkerbell (Sometimes kid, you have the vinegar in you. You can be a stinker, but you are always cute about it.)
Boo or Boo Boo
Brynner Boo

I refer to you both as sisser. Obviously it is a morph of sister. I use it when I'm talking to one of you about the other. For example "Go get your sisser." "Have you seen sisser's blanket?" You get the idea.

Also when you were both babies I called you both Monks or Monker-monks. It was sort of a motherese phrase that grew from calling you monkeys. It didn't really stick to either one of you and today I use it whenever I'm talking to babies.

Chad
When the girls are around I call Chad, Daddy. When they are not I call him babe/baby. Sometimes I call him Chaddy Bobalinski. I have no idea where I came up with that.

Scott
Scooter
Scotty-boy
Sukato-san

Ben
Benner-Boo
Boo/Boo Boo (I don't really call him this much anymore. Brynn is my boo now, but I know he misses it because every time he hears me call Brynn that he says "You know, that's what you used to call me." And I say "I know, but you grew up."
Benny-hana

What you all call me--only the nice things :)

Mom calls me Lisa-lou, Sis

Dad calls me Girl (straight forward, precise, but oddly affectionate)

Chad calls me Lis (pronounced lease). He never calls me Lisa unless something is broken, wrong or flooding (or he's having a moment).

You girls just call me Mom or Mommy.

(I'm sure I've forgotten some. I'll keep thinking about this and add as I remember.)

Comments

scotty said…
gotta think of a nickname for little Devin

i have been calling him "little dude", "little bud", and "dt".

Popular Posts