Let's talk turkey!

Well Brynn's birthday is in the bag, Thanksgiving prep begins!

Kids are at school.

Turkey is resting in the fridge, defrosting before its big day.

I'm dressed with grocery list in hand and ready to get some shopping done. The shopping is actually my least favorite part. So here's hoping the store is not too crazy and they still have fresh herbs.

Once the shopping is done my goals for today are:
  • Make the pies
  • Peel the potatoes and get them in the fridge in water
  • Make the stuffing
  • Make the gravy
The stuffing is probably the most time consuming thing I'll do today because I didn't get the bread out to dry earlier in the week, so I'll have to cube and toast it all. Bummer. But it is absolutely delicious, so it will be worth the extra toil (or so I keep telling myself).

How will I make the gravy today? I have a great make ahead gravy recipe that doesn't need turkey drippings. I hate standing over the stove in the 11th hour and trying to make gravy. It is usually greasy and weird and tastes more like flour than turkey, so a couple of years ago I started making this new recipe. Yum. Gravy crisis solved.

If I can get all that done then tomorrow all I have to do is:
  • Roast the turkey
  • Make the roll dough in enough time for it to rise
  • Boil and mash the potatoes
  • Reheat the gravy
  • Bake the stuffing
  • Bake the rolls
Oh tiny oven, how I will despise you tomorrow. Don't take it personally it's just tricky to get dinner on the table when everything has to be baked.

When I look at the whole list, truthfully, I just want to go back to bed. I could sleep for 2.5 more hours before I have to pick anyone up!! But Brynn was dancing around the house this morning singing "tomorrow we eat Mom's big feast. Big feast. Biiiigggggg Feeeeaaasssttttt!"

B: "Mom, what's the big feast day called again?"
L: "Thanksgiving."
B: "Oh yeah. I love it when you make the big feast."

Guess I better get cooking.

Comments

Popular Posts