A midnight train to the grocery store...

I laid in bed last night at the end of a very long day, gripping the remote and trying really hard to stay awake long enough to see who won Project Runway (have I mentioned how much I love Tivo?). Chad wanders upstairs, lays down and we chat about the day.

We are just about to turn in. I've given up on seeing the winner, because my eyes want to close. Chad is just about to hit the light when I bolt upright in bed and exclaim "oh crap!"

C: "What?!?"
L: "Tomorrow they are celebrating Brynn's birthday at preschool. She has to take a treat in for her class."
C: "Crap."
L: "Tell me about it."
C: "What do we have that we could send?"

I search my pantry and food storage. I look through the stocking stuffers I've already purchased. I try to find 13 pieces of matching Halloween candy. I literally have nothing to send. Unless each child is interested in an individual packet of brown sugar and maple syrup instant oatmeal...right, I have nothing.

Then I remember during the summer I bought 20 something Happy Birthday pencils for just such an occasion. So I search and search, but guess what? That's right. Can't. Find. Them. Anywhere. Of course I can't.

So at 11:56 PM I slip my shoes and coat on over my jammies and head out to the store. Bless his heart, Chad offers to go in my stead. Even follows me outside to try and take my place, but I have no idea what to get, so I don't know what to tell him to get...somethings you just have to do yourself.

I wander the aisles of Smith's dodging stockers and boxboys, looking for something special. Something that doesn't say "My loser mom bought these at Smith's last night at midnight." Finally I see them - Ring Pops.

Ah, Ring Pops. My children love you. I don't know why exactly, but something about a Ring Pop makes a tiny Christensen girl go crazy!

So I buy 15 ring pops (13 for Brynn's class, an extra for Grace and an extra for Brynn to have when I give Grace hers), a gallon of milk (we were out) and a turkey (17. 5 lbs for $12. can you say bargain?? I'm going back today to buy one more. Much like Ring Pops, my people also have a strong, positive reaction to seeing me pull an entire turkey out of the oven.)

So I trudge home lugging a 17.5 lb turkey. Which I make Chad unload and take down the the big freezer - seems fair, right? Throw down my spoils, kick off my shoes and climb back in bed. 12:22 AM. Might have been my fastest shopping trip ever.

This morning, ready to head to preschool I hand Brynn a big Ziploc bag with 13 Ring Pops in it and her little eyes literally light up. "Oh, mom, these are my favorite!!" She squeals. "My friends will be so happy." She joyfully bounces her way to the car with a school bag full of Ring Pops.

Motherhood is tiring, but if a midnight trip to the grocery store makes someone that happy, I guess it all evens out in the end.

Comments

Popular Posts