Brynn turns 4!



This weekend was baby Brynn's 4th birthday. Wow! This was the first year Brynn really understood or cared about her birthday. She was so excited she was literally running like a little whirlwind through the house. Here's a rundown of the birthday festivities:

Friday Afternoon- Brynn went with Grandma and Grandpa Christensen to Build A Bear and out for pizza. This is b-day tradition for the girls. Grace has been for the last three years, Brynn for the last two. They get to go and pick anything they want. They also get two outfits a day time outfit and pajamas. Brynn picked pink pants, a sparkly pink shirt (which she believes is a swimming suit top because it has no sleeves), a little hooded jacket and pick fuzzy crocs. She also pulled down the little pants to show me the bear's read underwear! Denise told me that when she first thought of this idea she was sure the girls would only want to do this one time, but they love going. They talk about it and look forward to it all year!



Saturday -- On her actual birthday woke up and spent a while running through the pink streamers on her door. Then she went out to a great big present in the front room. Inside? Her very own grocery store. She's in heaven. She and Grace spent the morning playing and having a great time. They counted the food, took turns being the customer, scanned everything they could find and rang it up on the new cash register. Brynn likes to keep all the play money in her cash register drawer, so if you shop at her store she takes money out of the drawer and pays you.




Then we went to see the movie Bolt, which is darn funny and I highly recommend. A hamster traveling across the country in his hamster ball - that is comedic genius I tell you.




We came home, opened presents and cards. From Grandma Sharon and Grandpa Tim Brynn got the Nintendo DS for 4 year olds** she has been wanting and a Dora the Explorer game. We gave her the Melissa and Doug Ice Cream Scooper set, which is really cute. I knew they would like it, but the girls are having more fun with that I really expected them too. She also got a Bolt coloring book from Grace and a light up card and $4 from GG and Grandpa Patterson.

** Since Brynn can't read I can reveal my secret. Brynn's new hand held gaming system is actually a Leapfrog. Grace has a Nintendo DS and Brynn really wanted one, but she is just too little. Playing the DS requires a little more coordination and problem solving ability than Brynn really has yet, so...I tricked her. I figured out what I wanted to get for her, decided on the LeapFrog and then took her to the store about 4 different times to show it to her. I'd make a little extra time on these shopping trips to walk through the toys. When I'd find the LeapFrogs I'd make a really big deal about how exciting they were and how they are Nintendo DS's for 4 year olds. Still we were worried we hadn't convinced her and that she would be disappointed when she opened it. But she unwrapped it and in her loud Brynner squeal said "Nintendo DS for 4 year olds!" It took cunning, persistence and 4 trips to Target, but we pulled it off! You think me evil, don't you? I can live with that.

We then had, at Brynn's request, a chocolate ice cream cake. Her face was positively beaming as we sang to her. I think she had a great birthday and I'm so happy because everyone should get at least one day a year where they feel really, really special.

We love you, Brynner Bear. Happy Birthday!

Comments

Annie said…
Our little Brynn looks WAY too grown up and beautiful in the first picture!
Yay for our little 4 year olds! It is so fun when they can really truly anticipate and fully enjoy their birthdays! And how do I get a cashier like her......I'd take one who would pay me instead! Sounds like they had a blast with all of their toys and family and fun! Will is getting the Leapfrog for Christmas! I'm excited! I love that she knew it was a "Nintendo DS for 4 year olds!" Ha! Love it!

Popular Posts