Denied

There are two things I longed for as a kid, but never got. I'm sure there were many more, but I can only remember two.

The first was an easy bake oven. Baking brownies with a 60 watt bulb - heaven, I tell you. Pure heaven. I don't know why I never got one of these, as it seems like a gift my parents would have totally embraced, but alas, I lived an easy bake oven free childhood. Chad promised me that one day, when I least expect it, he will buy me an easy bake oven.

The other object of my desire was a pager. In high school I really, really wanted a pager. Needed a pager. Remember how you could type in numbers and when you turned the pager upside down it spelled out words? Oh, 90s technology - glorious.

Though my lack of easy bake oven is a mystery, I know exactly why I didn't ever get a pager. To quote my mother "Only drug dealers have pagers." Burn.

So I managed to live through high school sans pager. (And sans car, though surprisingly I was more upset by my parents unreasonably denying me the pager. I highly doubt anyone was going to mistake me for a drug dealer.)

Today, Grace got in the car after a long day of second grade and out of her mouth came the words I thought were at least 5 years off...

G: "Mom, can I get a cell phone for my birthday?"
L: "Say what?"
G: "Can I get a cell phone? All my friends have cell phones."
L: "No way. All your 2nd grade friends have cell phones? Who? I want names."

Grace rattles off the names of two friends with cell phones and when I push her, she admits she doesn't think anyone else has one. But she still neeeedddddsss it. She's good at phones. She knows how to use them.

I do a little talking about how one day when she is older, blah, blah...you know what comes next. NO.

And then she really surprised me...she started crying, but she tried to hide it. huh? Oh, ranting, hysterical emo baby, where did you go? You're not growing up are you, because that might cause my world to stop spinning on its axis.

L: "Grace, you aren't..."
G: (cuts me off) "No-o." she huffs in two syllables. "I'm not crying about it. It's fine. I knew you would say no."
L: "Don't worry buddy, I'll get you something really cool for your birthday."

And I will. I have a couple of good bday ideas for Grace, but alas, they do not include a cell phone.

Comments

Marci said…
I just had this same conversation LAST NIGHT with Daxton. 2nd Grade!!! It kills me that they think that its such a normal thing! I can't even begin to rationalize it. I am glad to know that someone else is in the same boat as I.
Are you kidding me? My kids can't even use a normal toothbrush without trying to turn it on first. It's a whole different jungle out there!

Popular Posts