Academic Humor

I've been writing professionally for about 10 years. OK, right now you're thinking about all the typos you've seen on my blog. Well, hush. I don't proofread what I write here, I just write for fun. Anyway...

I work in a very academic environment and a big part of my job is reading and reviewing the work of other writers. Part of the courses I teach also have a big writing component. Needless to say, I read a lot of people's writing. Some of it great, some of it ok, a lot of it bad...really bad. My-eyes-are-bleeding-did-you-really-think-that-was-a-sentence/conjugation/word-kind of bad. Most of the bad, IMO, is the result of haste and poor planning. Few people take time to really plan what they write, they just slap words on a page and call it good.

Last night, I was reading a series of articles by Barabara Minto called "Think Your Way to Clear Writing." In one article she says:

"Clearly communicating one's thinking in writing requires, first and foremost that the thinking actually be completed."

I laughed out loud. I love it when academics are funny. Makes me feel not quite so alone in my universe.

Rock on, Barb. Rock on.

Comments

Popular Posts