Grace's Baptism


Grace was baptized on Saturday, August 1, 2009. It was a lovely day. She looked beautiful - like an angel in that long white dress. I took her a week before to buy a baptism dress and when she put it on my eyes filled up with tears. "You are crying because I'm so beautiful, huh?"she asked sweetly. I just hugged her and whispered "that's exactly why." She spent the next week telling everyone she could see how I cry a lot because she's so beautiful. Nice.

The morning went very well. We managed to be completely ready to leave a full half hour before we actually needed to walk out the door. Remember the last time that happened? It was exactly ... never! Chad did tell me he forgot a tie as we were pulling turning into the church, but when he mentioned it to my dad in the parking lot, Dad promptly took off his tie and handed it to Chad.

Grace, Brynn, Mom and I sang "I Love to See the Temple" at the beginning of the baptism program. I'm sure it was lovely. I wouldn't totally know because mentally I was thinking about roadkill - you know to keep from sobbing. Hard to keep dry eyes when you are standing with three generations singing about about eternal families.

We practiced the night before and both mom and I were struggling to get through it. I know the girls were feeling the Spirit too because Grace sidled up to me and snuggled tight under my arm. Then suddenly, in the dramatic outburst fashion for which she is known, Brynn turned quickly and threw her arms tightly around Grace practically knocking her on her tail. We tried to get Brynn back in line and singing, but not a lot of luck. After I got down, so I could look her in the eyes and said "Brynn you just can't do that tomorrow. Its a special day, you need to be serious." To which she replied in her robust, fanciful, foaming at the mouth way "But I was serious. I just love you guys soooooo much."

Chad baptized and confirmed Grace. The blessing he gave her after during her confirmation was on of the most inspired blessing I've ever heard him give. It was lovely and completely filled with the Spirit.

The weeks and months leading up to Grace's baptism were pretty inspiring. We've worked hard as a family to get her ready. She's very serious about some things and this was one of them. You could feel the Spirit in our home, feel the Lord's love for her...it was just awesome. But as important as those weeks were, the Spirit we felt that day was just indescribable. I felt like I was in a spiritual cocoon and that the Lord was super aware of me and of our family.

After the confirmation I sat snuggled up tightly under Chad's arm, Grace under his other arm and Brynn on my lap. It was this crazy intense moment and the overwhelming feeling that nothing I will ever do will be more important than my family. Nothing. If I can succeed at this, everything else is just gravy.

We enjoyed a fun luncheon with family and our close friends. Thanks to everyone who came and especially those who helped me get it all ready. All the love and support made the day so lovely.

Girls for more insight into my "innermost feelings," as Dad calls them, please read about this experience in my journal. But wait until I'm dead, senile or give you a special invitation to go poking around in there.

For those of you unfamiliar with the LDS practices of baptism and confirmation, please click here to learn more.

And now the good stuff. Some pics...

Comments

scotty said…
sounds like an awesome day!

Popular Posts