Lunches, Lying and Cheetos

I make Grace's lunch everyday. It is nothing fancy. In fact it is a peanut butter sandwich everyday, with the occasional peanut butter crackers thrown in to break the monotony. Not my fault the child will not eat lunch meat.

I used to send creative things like chicken noodle soup and ramen in a little thermos. But Grace very rarely ate the soup and I stopped sending ramen one day in second grade when I cleaned out her lunch box, found her completely untouched ramen and asked why she didn't eat it.

"I just couldn't mom," she lamented. "I opened it up and it looked like a big ball of hair."

Can't say I blame her, I wouldn't want to eat a ball of hair either.

So peanut butter it is. I try to mix it up with interesting side dishes. Fruit, yogurt, applesauce, granola bars, string cheese and occasionally, I buy Cheetos. Grace loves Cheetos.

This week, first week back on track, I bought Cheetos.

Apparently I left the bag on the counter yesterday when I made Grace's lunch, because as I worked Brynn wandered into my room munching.

"No more Cheetos," I said.

She was in and out, in and out and then a few hours later I notice she has a very distinct orange ring around her lips.

"Brynn, I said no more cheetos."

"I know," she says.

"Are you still eating them?"

"No."

"Brynn, I'm going to ask again and my I stress the need for honesty here. Tell the truth, have you still been eating Cheetos?"

She thought long and hard. "No."

So I excused her to go sit on the tile, which she did with a mighty pout.

When her time was up we talked about honesty and how we never, never lie. When you tell the truth you probably won't get in trouble and if you do get in trouble it won't be as bad.

Then those little orange lips squeaked "How did you know, mom?"

"I always know when you are lying, Brynn. Always." **

**minor mother modification: I always suspect when you are lying, but I'm 100% positive when you are lying about cheetos. :)

Comments

Popular Posts