Resolutions: Spiritual

So I'm going to go out on a big limb here and post a few resolutions. Ugh, public disclosure. Like crying in public, not my favorite thing, but in the interest of motivating myself and others here goes:

Read the weekly Gospel Doctrine and RS Lesson.
I did this with Gospel Doctrine last year and I really enjoyed it. I miss Sunday School a lot because of my church calling, so studying on my own was really fun. It helped me feel like I knew what was going on. This year I'm going to try to read the RS lessons too. I'm excited to study the Gospel Principles course, I think a back to basics year will be great.

Add scripture reading to our family prayer routine. (Oh, yeah and jump back on the apple cart with family prayer!)
Something happened to us in late fall 2008 and we took a family prayer sabbatical. We're bad, but I'm happy to say we have climbed back on the wagon in the last few weeks and are beginning anew. Tonight we started reading a few verses of the Book of Mormon to our nightly prayer. We're shooting for 5 verses a night, so we should be done with the whole book about the time Grace graduates from high school. No matter, it's a journey, right?

About two verses into our reading tonight, Brynn hopped up and starting leaving. "where are you going?" I asked and she pantomimed playing her DS. "Uh, not happening," I said "come back and have a seat."

"But it's booooorrrrrriiiiinnnngggg..."

"Don't worry," I said. "It gets better.

Seriously. 5 verses. We can do that, right?

Visit teach every month.
This was my goal last year too. I came really close. I think I made it 10 months, so trying again and this time I'm determined to make it.

Go to the temple once a month.
This was also my goal last year. And, well, not even close. I don't want to talk about my colossal failure as a human, so I'm just going to start again. I wanted to say I'd go once a week, but then I thought about it. 52 times vs 12 times. Seems like I should start with something I might actually be able to do, so 12 it is. If I'm really trucking on this goal later in the year, then I'll up it. For now my goal is to make it out of January without blowing this one completely, because such a situation is entirely possible.

What's that?

There's a temple 10 mins from my house and I can see it from my front room windows?

Thank you, I was aware of my total lameness, but I appreciate you pointing it out just the same. Helpful.

I think that's a good start. Tomorrow, let's talk personal and professional goals. There's a paper chain involved. I might even post a picture.

I know, cliffhanger, right? :)

Comments

Brynn said…
I like all of your goals. I have similar goals for myself. 5 verses sounds great. I think I will borrow that goal for my fam. And luckily, the RS lessons are only about 3 pages long. You can do it! Good luck.

Popular Posts