Kindergarten.

This morning Brynn started Kindergarten. She's so ready. She walked to school with the big kids (FINALLY). A couple of times she let me hold her hand, bot mostly I just trailed her bright yellow backpack beeboping down the street.


Grace played the proud sister this morning. Encouraging Brynn. Keeping track of her. Even gave her a big hug and told her to have a good day. Then she held on to me extra long, before walking off to "big girl" school. And I held on to her extra long too, because it doesn't seem so long ago that I was taking her to kindergarten and here she is hugging me and I can rest my chin on her head.

Brynn and I made it to the kindergarten area, lined up (a full head taller than anyone else in the class), walked to her class, did a little project together, found the kleenex (a critical piece of information for Brynn), got her set up doing her self portrait project and then it was time to say goodbye. And she looked at me with those wide blue eyes that I love, "but I'll miss you."

"I know, but I'll see you in 3 hours."

"But I don't know what to do when I'm done with my paper."

"Just wait quietly at your desk and Mrs. Teacher will tell you what to do next."

"But I don't know where you pick me up."

"But Mrs. Teacher does. She'll walk you out and I'll meet you out there."

"Ok, then. I love you. See you later."

And that was that. No crying. No wailing. Not even a "nerm." Just ready. I walked home alone and even though I've been alone 3 mornings a week for 2 years, the house feels quieter today. It's heavy with kindergarten quiet and kindergarten quiet seems far more serious and final than preschool quiet.

Brynn, 5 yrs, 1st day of Kindergarten
sisters
that was the littlest backpack I could find and it's still drowning her tiny frame
hugs

Comments

Popular Posts