Larsen Family Reunion 2010

Not much to say about this reunion, unfortunately. Brynn got strep the night before we were supposed to leave, so that threw a wrench in our plans. The reunion was more about what we didn't get to do, than what we did...

We didn't get to pick Scott and Ashley up from the airport. Chad did, but the rest of us were with a neighbor or at the doctor getting a strep culture. Fun.

We didn't get to have family dinner on Thursday, because the doctor specifically said keep Brynn away from babies. I said you mean like my baby nephew who is getting off the airplane in 15 minutes? Just just like that, she said. Bummer. So no cute baby for us.

We didn't get to spend Friday at Jordanelle with the extended family.

We didn't get an early start. In fact we didn't really get on the road until about 5:30 at which time we were still trying to keep Brynn and Devin at least 12 feet from each other.

By the time we got to Park City things started to turn around. We had a great dinner at Red Rock Brewery - I love that place. We checked into the hotel, got a roll away bed, got the girls settled and they were out cold in mere nanoseconds. Once the children were unconscious, Scott and I got back in the car, drove back down the canyon and to the airport to pick up Dad. During the drive, Scott told me all about his work at school and his patients in the clinic. It made me this two things 1) my brother is awesome. Super smart and dedicated. A very hard worker. 2) I'm glad my job doesn't involve touching people. I would not be a success. I'm not really even a hugger. Every now and then I get the hug bug, but usually I'm just a smiler.

We spent Saturday doing something for everyone:

- going out to breakfast at a Marriott! (Chad LOVES going to breakfast. He wants to mark every occasion by getting up early and going out to breakfast. This is simply do not understand.) 

- swimming at the hotel (This was the girl's favorite. Sadly they do not yet seem to know the difference between a cannonball and a belly flop or a belly flop and diving for that matter, but we're working on it - SPLAT!)

-shopping at the outlet mall (I bet you can guess who liked this best. I'm turning into kind of a clothes hound. I've always been a shoe hound, but now, ah, clothes. I did manage to find 2 pairs of really cute shoes. Yes, I needed them. No, I'm not sure what that brings my total shoe ownership too. Yes, they all still fit in my closet - sort of.)

-dinner with the Larsens (this was interesting. Not really any way to talk or visit with folks. We greeted everyone, but it was hard to split up the families. At least for us, we want to sit by and monitor our kids, who want to sit by their grandparents and are not interested in mingling with strangers. Not that I blame them. So we all sat together and didn't get a chance to interact much.)

-Alpine Slide. (After dinner, which was probably pretty boring for Chad - and loud, my people are loud- Chad was dying to go do 'something fun,' so we loaded up the kids and went to ride the alpine slide. I didn't ride. In fact, I specifically wore totally cute, but nonsense shoes, so I wouldn't have to. But Chad, the girls and Scott had a great time. Grace was tall enough that they made her ride by herself. I was having a heart attack, as I would have preferred that she ride with someone, but she did a fine job and had a lot of fun. After the Alpine slide, we let the girls jump on the tramp with the big bungee cords - I don't know how to describe it exactly, but you are on wires, so you jump insanely high and can do flips and tricks. Then the girls and I followed a very tired Devin around for 30 mins while Scott, Ash and Chad rode the zipline. They came down raving about how amazing...I remain unconvinced.)

Sunday we packed up, got some breakfast, went up to the mountain to let the girls jump one more time during which time Grace finally figured out how to do a backflip and we were able to call the whole trip a success. We parted ways with Scott and Ash- who insisted they must go home. LAME. On our way out of town, we stopped and walked around the Olympic Park. We sat for quite a while watching the ski jumpers and Grace's enthusiasm for snowboarding was rejuvenated. "How long until it snows? Can I take more lessons this year? Do I need a new board? I think I need a new board." Swoosh - a guy flies down the ski jump and does a double flip with a twist before landing in the pool. Grace looks at me with huge, winder filled eyes - "Wow, can you do that on a snowboard?"

So while we didn't do much reunioning, we did a have a really great weekend hanging out with the kids and going on a few little adventures. As we were driving down the canyon Brynn said "Mom, can you love on me when we get home. I'm going to be sad about leaving Park City."

Comments

Popular Posts