What the hail?

The title?  I know, sorry, but I just couldn't resist. I was going to title this post downpour, but that's no fun at all.

So what's with the hail? And the raindrops the size of quarters? Wow. We don't usually get a lot of weather this time of year. Exciting stuff.

I took Brynn to Wal-mart this afternoon to grab a few school supplies. It was pouring when we were ready to leave. POURING. So I stood in the Wal-mart foyer and waited. The more I waited, the harder it rained until it was coming down in a single sheet of water. The parking lot was a river and I started to get nervous. I had to go get Grace soon. After all, I can't let her walk home in the monsoon. (Even though she would probably love it.) The longer I wait, the more likely I am to be late.

Finally it starts to let up a smidge, so I roll up my jeans, take off my shoes and tuck them inside a shopping bag. (I know, ew, but they are my favorite shoes and they're leather. You can't run through the Wal-mart parking lot river in your favorite leather shoes. If it is choice between dirt and shoes, well then feet I can wash.) I put Brynn in the cart and we make a run for it.

As soon as I put my feet on the pavement the rain picks up and it starts to HAIL! But I'm too far now to turn back, so I just run. Fast. Literally throw Brynn and the bags in the car. Push the front wheels of the cart up on the planter box curb, so it won't roll into any cars and dart back to the car. I jump in and guess what happens?

Rain. Stops. Almost completely. Of course it does.

Brynn laughs and laughs because I am shoeless and completely soaked. Which is so awesome!! NOT.

I am now home with freshly washed feet and dry clothes and am happy to report that despite the wind, rain and hail my favorite shoes made it home without so much as one drop of water on them. Since it now rains like Noah's flood every afternoon are we saying the drought is officially over?

Comments

Popular Posts