Yep, I did it again...

I went camping. No, I didn't take any pictures so there is no actual photographic evidence, but I did. I went. Swear. The kids will vouch for me.

Last Friday, we went on a campout with our neighbors. I actually don't mind camping so much, but there is my pesky, and I'll admit, totally irrational fear of bears. I know being eaten by a bear is highly unlikely, but doesn't change it. That's why they call it a phobia, people. If it was rational, well, what fun would that be?

Anyway, I made Chad promise me a place with a low elevation and nothing with Uinta in the name. I equate Uinta with bears, so no Unita for me. We packed up and drove down to a little campground near Springville. It was a nice drive until we passed the giant sign that said UINTA NATIONAL FOREST. So I said "Chhhhaaaaaddddd..." He must have seen it too because he said "no worries, lower Uinta." I felt unconvinced, until little more than a mile later I saw this:
That's right. Beware of....Cows!

So while the mere thought of a bear's existence makes me want to weep, a cow I can handle. Cows you can tip. No sense being scared of something you can tip.

We had a nice time. Our campsite was on the edge of a little stream and the kids had a great time tossing rocks into the water. We ate dinner and sat around the fire. We let the kids eat smores until they were ready to pop.

The only downside of the trip was my neighbor's son got sick on the way there and he was miserable, so after dinner Mom loaded him up and took him home for the night. Mom shares my overwhelming affinity for camping, so if I hadn't witnessed the green hue of his face with my own eyes I would have thought she was just trying to get out of it.

I made it through the night and even managed to sleep this time. We got up the next morning, ate breakfast, took a fun little walk, packed up and headed home. It was perfect.

The girls loved going and it was fun to snuggle up with them in the tent. It was a fun adventure, quick and perfect. I told Chad I would go to that campground again. Overall, I'm pretty sure my ease came from the cow sign. Chad's going to have to buy one of those cow signs and plant it for future trips.

Comments

Popular Posts