Faith is in the Details

I have a lot going on. Too much, really. It's getting better, but the last few weeks, I've been hanging on by a thread. A dangling, fragile, gossamer thread.

As part of my church calling I do volunteer work with our local Cub Scout organizations. We recently finished up our big fall activity - Cub-O-Ree. Cub-O-Ree is fun filled two days for the boys and lots of work for me. It's the biggest activity I'm personally in charge of all year.

The week of Cub-O-Ree one of my clients scheduled an important meeting. The kind of meeting I can't miss. He scheduled it for the exact same hours as the Friday night session of Cub-O-Ree. I emailed him and said "so sorry, I have a conflict and can't make that time. Can we please reschedule?"

We traded emails over a long afternoon, until finally I got this curt reply: "I looked at everyone's calendars, it works for everyone else. Reschedule your conflict."

Ah, dilemma. I hate it when your priorities collide like that. First, I tried to think of who I could get to fill in for me at Cob-O-Ree. I stewed over it for an afternoon, with not much luck. Then I decided the Lord is my priority, so the Cub meeting had to be my priority too.

So to my knees I went and said to the Lord how I knew my calling was more important, but how was I supposed to make it work? I needed help and I'd do my best to put the Cub thing first, if I could have a little assistance with the rest of it.

That night I decided to find someone to go over early and set up the Cub thing, I'd go to the first two hours of the meeting and then leave, drive back and try to make it to Cubs just as it started. It was a plan. A compromise on both sides.

Next day I got a call from the client. Turns out 3 of the 5 people who are supposed to be at the meeting (not including me) have a major personal conflict, which they did not have on their online calendars. The meeting will have to be rescheduled for the next week.

!!!

Wow. You know, such a small thing. But wow. I'm always amazed how the Lord can help things work out. I'm sure as He looked over the Earth and its many dilemmas that day and my work/cub scout conflict seemed like a pretty minor thing, but to me it mattered and He answered my prayer. Plain and simple.

There aren't a lot of mountains moving around out here, not that I've seen anyway. Not a lot of major miracles. Not an angelic messenger in sight. But my faith is being built daily. Detail, by tiny detail.

Comments

Popular Posts