Food Critique

I went out on a limb last night and for dinner tried not one, but three new recipes. I usually try to stay safe and only give the kidlets one new thing to try, but this time I said what the heck, let's just go for it. Got interesting responses from my three resident food critiques.

On the menu:

Creamy Rosemary Polenta
Critics' responses:
#1: interesting, nice creamy texture, pretty color, very strong aftertaste of something that I don't care for.
#2: looks like mashed potatoes only yellow, tastes ok, still like mashed potatoes better, would be willing to try it again
#3: WHAT IS THAT?? No way. No way. I'm not eating that!!!

Ultimately, we decided this was a recipe worth trying again. Next time I should probably half the batch and swap the rosemary for another herb. Rosemary is a bit like taking a trip to the mountains and then spending the afternoon sucking on the trunks of pine trees. Seems like a nice idea and until you get that strong woody aftertaste...

Zucchini Casserole
Critics' responses:
#1: surprised, but loved this. Wants to eat this again.
#2: I don't care for celery, thought you said this didn't have celery in it. (me: it doesn't) then what's all that green stuff? (me: zucchini) oh, I don't care for zucchini either. Reluctantly tries a nibble or two, confesses that it isn't bad, but can't get past the green hue of this dish
#3: WHAT IS THAT?? No way. No way. I'm not eating that!!!

Delish. A winner, but probably half the batch next time as well. Mom and Dad ate more than the munchkins.

Grilled Herb Marinated Pork Tenderloin
Critics' response:
#1: WOW! love this. tender, juicy, perfect. I could pick this up and eat it without a fork, like a pork tenderloin popsicle. (thankfully out of deference to good table manners this critic continued to use his fork)
#2: got over initial reluctance and her "I don't care for pork" statements, with a nibble or two. Ended up eating three slices.
#3: WHAT IS THAT?? No way. No way. I'm not eating that!!! Ok, I'll try one bite, but I don't like the brown parts (grill marks), huh its not that bad. Ended up eating three slices, brown parts and all.

Totally a winner. Easy, delicious. Didn't set the smoke alarm off, even though I had to use my indoor grill. Made extra marinade and froze it, so ready to go for next time.

After the meal critic 3 summed it up nicely. "I'm not eating that (polenta), or that (zucchini), but the pork was fabulous!"

On the menu tonight? Probably spaghetti. Safe, reliable spaghetti.

Comments

I made zucchini casserole last night too.....although I'm not nearly as nice as you and that was the meal. The whole meal! I did give the kidletts some cottage cheese and pears because I had to force down the few bites they did eat. But us old folks love it! I need your pork recipe!!! Really, really. Loved the critics!!!

Popular Posts