Nightmares.

it is 2:34 AM. I expect this post to have a lot of typos. It's dark, which makes it hard to type, but luckily I'm a Mavis Beacon typing tutor graduate, so I don't need no stinkin' lights.

Brynn is curled up in bed next to me, with her bony little knees in my back, if I'm being precise. She's had yet another nightmare. I've put her back to bed twice and she's been up again both times. Crying. I gave up and let her get in my bed. I never do that. I must be whipped.

Chad is also having nightmares. He screams in his sleep. Not all the time, but enough. After all these years I can now tell when he's going to do it. His breathing changes. I can't quite explain how, but it's like he's revving up and then he lets out big old scream. BIG.

Tonight I was almost asleep and I felt his breathing change. All I could think was he's gonna wake up Brynn! So just before he was about to holler out at the monsters in his head, I put my hand on his shoulder and shook him a little, called his out his name a couple of times and managed to keep it to a little yelp.

I haven't seen Grace and don't expect to. That kid sleeps like a rock. I could drive a fire truck through her room and she wouldn't even twitch. I used to be like that. But that was before I became a mother. Now I'm guarding this house. Guarding these babies.  Monitoring people's dreaming and screaming.

Wow, 2:46 and I can still rhyme. Impressive stuff.

Comments

Popular Posts