Reduce/Reuse/Recycle...oops

In an effort to be helpful, when I got home last night I picked up the six newspapers off the driveway and tossed them in the recycle bin. (Yes, six. That walk down the driveway is just so long!)

Anyway, I thought I had my finger through the ring on the car keys, so I opened the lid of the recyle and tossed the papers in. At the same time I hear the sound of the car keys sliding down the side of the recyle bin.  Um, oops.

Yes, that's right. I recycled the car keys.

I dragged the bin into the light and started rumagging around to find the keys. In pretty short order I realized my arms were not going to be long enough for this job. I was going to have to go in and confess.

"Um, Chad."
"Hey babe, did you have fun?"
"We did, but um, I need your help. I did something kind of stupid."
Chad got this great look on his face. That look he gets when he's humoring me. "Oh yeah? What did you do?"
"Um, well the keys to your car might be in the recycling bin."
And he laughed. And rolled his eyes BIG. And got up and found his shoes and came outside to help me.

Unfortunately, this is not the first important thing I've thrown away.

I'm always accidentally tossing spoons and forks into the trash. Usually my brain clicks in as soon as I do it and I'm able to fish it out.

Once I threw away a $75 check. That time it made it all the way to the actual, outside garbage can. The gross, smelly garbage can. We ended up pulling everything out to the garbage can and spreading it out on clean garbage bags in the garage, looking for the check. Eventually we found it, but not a fun job. I don't remember Chad laughing that night. That was before he knew my throwing things away was a personality flaw, he'd be forced to live with for a while.

Once I threw out a $500 check. That's significantly more than $75. I don't remember Chad laughing then either. We never found that one. It had to be reissued.

Last night we laughed. Going through the recycling bin is a nice, clean job all things considered. We only had to empty half the thing out before we found the keys. As we were putting everything back in the bin, Chad looked at me quite seriously. "Now seriously, Lisa..."

"I know, I know. I'm trying to be careful. This is why I'm not in charge of the trash."

Seriously.

Comments

Keryn said…
The keys to your car "might" be in the recycle bin...ha ha ha ha ha ha! I love it.

Popular Posts