If everything is bigger in Texas, than everything is hotter in South Carolina

Earlier this month I attended the first ever Larsen Family Reunion in Charleston, South Carolina. I've never been to South Carolina before and Charleston is quite lovely...oh yeah and its really, really hot. That whole Utah is a dry heat thing really took on new meaning for me. I actually like a little humidity in the air, but this was air you can chew.

Scott, Ashley and I snacked our way through the Atlanta airport while waiting for one of those intense, but brief southern summer storms to pass. A croissant, a bag of pretzels, a big coke and a scoop of ice cream later the skies cleared and we were off to SC.

The Car
In Charleston, we waited in the rental car line behind a large, loud vacationing family and their 19 pieces of luggage. I'm not sure what was going on, but the poor girl at the counter looked like she was on the brink of tears. When our turn came, I realized we were going to be helped by a little old lady (and I mean little, I'm not sure she could see over the counter). At first I thought, oh great this is going to be another 45 min. But turns out that Jean was one heck of a rental car lady and I drove out of there in record time in a sporty little silver Volvo. That was a sweet little car and the whole thing was a good learning experience for Scott. Now he knows that when offered an upgrade choice of either a Volvo or Toyota Camry - always go Volvo. :)

The Hotel
The hotel was ... well. Hmm, how do I say this gently? Let's start by saying it shared a parking lot with Lowes. We pulled in and looked at each other and I said "oh no, this can't be it." But it was. The hotel reaffirmed my aversion to staying in places with airport in the title. I think the whole hotel experience can be summed up by two important pieces of information.
  1. I wore my flip flops the entire time I was in my room - I never let my bare feet touch the floor. Never.
  2. Scott and Ashley were positive someone was murdered in their bathroom. They backed up their claim citing the blood spatter on their bathroom wall.
Sightseeing in Charleston
We spent Friday and Saturday sight seeing in Charleston and it was fun, but really, really hot. We walked through the historic district of Charleston where Scott managed to find the only surf shop in 50 miles, go in, talk to the kid running the place, bond (as only surfers can), get offered a free red bull and invited to a party. Scott is like my mom that way, he has a best friend every where he goes.

Friday morning we found my favorite place in Charleston a little joint called Cupcake. Can you guess what they sell? That's right cupcakes! It was hands down the best cupcake I've ever had. Crunchy on top, moist tender cake and a nice big swirl of the best frosting on the planet. Check out their website - you'll want to lick your computer screen (but don't, you'll be disappointed).

We rode the ferry out to Ft. Sumter and toured the fort. I use the term 'toured' rather loosely here. The ferry ride was about 35 mins (I swear I could have swam out to the thing faster than that ferry went). There was no breeze and it was HOT! Now you know me, I'm a history buff, so the fact that I got to the site where the first shots of the Civil War were fired and went looking for air conditioning says something about how I was feeling that day - HOT!

They give you an hour to explore the fort and get back on the boat. After the 2 minute walking tour of Ft. Sumter I found one of two benches inside the museum and parked it for the remaining 58 minutes. (ok, I'm exaggerating a little, but not much. I need at least 4 mins to walk back to the boat). Scott has a great picture of Ashley and I holding down the bench at Ft. Sumter. I would have asked him to take one with my camera, but that would have involved getting off my fanny, walking over and handing him the camera and I just couldn't do it. Have I mentioned it was hot??

Napping
My favorite part of the whole day might have been the three hours I spent napping. Yep. That was my favorite part.

Dinner
Mom and Dad arrived that evening and we headed back to downtown Charleston for dinner at the world famous Hyman's. The walls of Hyman's are covered with celebrity pics and there are plaques on the table proclaiming who has eaten there before you (we ate at the same table as Lindsey Wagner). Hyman's has been voted best seafood in the Southeast for the last 9 years by Southern Living Magazine. I thought it was a fun place, good food and the best hush puppies I've ever had.

Plantation Living
We spent Saturday touring the Boone plantation. They have a road covered with a canopy of Live Oaks. It is a pretty famous scene, depicted in lots of different movies. We toured the plantation house and enjoyed it until we learned that it was built in the 1930s... "so what do you mean that it is built from the original brick made by the slaves?" My dad grills the tour guide in the post tour Q&A session. Well bricks from this property, she says. "Like old bricks laying around?" This wasn't Dad's first question and he was really getting the kill it look from mom. Let's just say we spent the rest of the afternoon making up our own tour stories, much like I'm sure our guide does everyday.

We took the tram tour of the plantation and saw the fields and crops they still plant. It was interesting, but I was feeling a bit over it after the first 5 mins. No breeze, hot sun, looking at fields where the just pulled up tomatoes or were getting ready to plant pumpkins... let's just say I was contemplating throwing myself over the tram railing. It was only a few feet to the ground and I think if I did a tuck and roll move, I wouldn't have even hurt myself. Then our nature loving, long haired, environmentalist, twenty something tour guide pulled the tram over to compose himself because apparently his dog had died that morning! Ok, I'm sorry your dog died kid, but when you stop moving the tram the artificial breeze the movement was creating stops too. Can you mourn at a steady clip please? Oh that makes me sound heartless. I'm not. He was a nice kid and I'm sad about his dog, but it was so blasted hot.

Meeting the Fam
Perhaps the most interesting part of the whole family reunion experience was the family themselves. The last time I saw any of these folks was at Grandpa Larsen's funeral in 1989, so they were all basically strangers to me. It was interesting to see and meet and visit with all my dads siblings and so many of their kids. They were a warm and very colorful group of people.

Everyone was very excited to see Scott and I.
Not because of us, come to find out, but because if we were there that meant my "dad was coming for sure."

Here are some things I learned through this experience:
  • Dad is the 2nd oldest of 7 and I learned for the first time the meaning of "Irish twins." My dad and his older brother Lanse are 11 months apart to the day. Lanse was born 12/19/47 and Dad was born 11/19/48. They even look like twins. Similar patterns of speech, similar mannerisms ... it was weird.
  • My dad is well respected in his family. Not like this is a revelation to me, but I was a bit surprised that so many kids of my generation -- kids I wouldn't have imagined even know my dad -- were really excited to meet him.
  • Everyone calls my dad Timmy and I'm not sure he appreciates it.
  • Grandpa Larsen's tradition of recitation is alive and well in Uncle Johnny. You haven't heard "The Cremation of Sam McGee" until is has come from the mouth of a Larsen. Let's just say their enthusiasm is unmatched.
  • My dad looks just like Grandpa Larsen. So much so I think it was freaking people out.
  • Larsens are card sharks and much like they do everything else, they play enthusiastically. If you dare to play spoons with these people be prepared to lose a limb. Am I kidding? No.
  • Once again, I was reminded that no matter what the game or how long since he has played, my dad does. not. lose. period. (and he's funny and self effacing about that fact that he is wiping the floor with you, so at least the losing isn't too painful).
The weekend was capped off by a large family dinner, where everyone shared songs and stories. It was all pretty riotous, until my dad got up and told the story of Grandpa Larsen's Japanese flag. It's a touching story and my retelling would hardly do its justice. I'm working on getting him write it down for me.

As he told the story a calm really settled over the room. The story underscored the importance of being a family and made everyone think about Grandpa Larsen. And though the story isn't really a spiritual one, it really brought a sweet spirit to the group. It was a nice ending to the weekend.

When last I heard they were planning another reunion in 2010. It all sounded fine until I heard something about white water rafting and I said... over my dead body. But 2008, worth the trip.

Comments

I made sure to resist and not lick the screen! Sounds like a great (and extremely hot!) visit. When I visit Jason's family back east, I honestly can't breathe and they just laugh because for them, it is a good day. Gotta love that humidity!
KJlovesBubba said…
Hey Lisa! I found you through Cunningham's blog - I didn't know you had a family connection to South Carolina! Dave is from a place a little northeast of Charleston called Timmonsville. I know what you mean about the heat and humidity - I hate, hate, hate to go there in the summer, just like his family hates to come here in the winter! We have a trip coming up the end of September, should be nice enough to still take the kids to the Beach, Myrtle Beach that is. Also, your girls are adorable - can you believe how fast these kids are growing up!?

Popular Posts