Oh, I thought they said...

I wondered most of my young life what a shallmeno was. In the hymn "As I have loved you," there is a line "...by this shall men know, ye are my disciples..." But as a kid I thought it was shallmeno, which I assumed must be some kind of fish (you know, like a minnow...sort of a loaves and fishes thing...work with me here. It made a lot of sense at the time).

There's also an old 60s (I think) song, which I love, called Secret Agent Man, which I've always thought was called Secret Asian Man. "Seriously?" Chad says. "You seriously thought the song was called Secret Asian Man?!? That doesn't even make sense." But I figured - it was the 60s. Logic was not a requirement. Secretly, I heard that song recently and I still think it sounds like Secret Asian Man.

What's the point of all this?

Well, Brynn was in playing in her room yesterday and as she played she favored her babies with a particularly rousing version of her current favorite song "I Love to See the Temple." If you know the song there is a line near the end of the first verse that says "...for the temple is the house of God, a place of love and beauty..."

So there she was crescendoing to this big line (as Brynn sings quite enthusiastically when she thinks no one is listening, wonder where she gets that?? hmmm.... ) Anyway she reaches this important line, singing slowly and with great feeling"...for the temple is a house of GUM..." huh?? A house of Gum?

I recounted the story to Chad last night to which he said matter-of- factly "Well, when you are three, celestial glory probably is a house of Gum." :)

Comments

said…
Do you know how I found your blog? I typed in the word shallmeno. I was curious what would come up with an internet search. Just your blog and a YouTube video I have not opened yet. As a child I had no idea what a shallmeno was. I did not think of a fish like you did, instead, for some reason I thought of a hockey puck. Don't ask why because I knew nothing about hockey as a three-year-old.
The temple as a house of Gum had me laughing out loud! I wish I would have kept a good record of all the funny things our children said when they were little. I did record some but wish I had more.

Popular Posts