Something is lurking in my basement...

I ran on the treadmill tonight. No run is too strong a word really. I walked briskly at a steep incline. I'm not a runner. A big dog with a gun would need to chase me for me to run. But I like to walk. It was my 4th treadmill this week, actually, so I'm on a bit of a roll.

The treadmill is in the basement family room, with a good view of the TV, so I watch taped shows or yell at various Fox newscasters while I walk. Both activities seem to keep me distracted enough to get a workout, otherwise I'd jump off as soon as I started to feel a little hot. That seems to be a theme with me - I don't like to be hot. It comes up a lot on this blog. Maybe I should work through my hot issues...nah.

Tonight's distraction was a taped episode of Medium, which wasn't quite over when I decided my brisk walk was. So I sat down on the couch to finish watching it and then I started hearing this really weird noise. I mean weird. Kind of like a loud yawning sound and some chattering. Like happy little chattering. At first I thought it was one of the girls, but they had been in bed for a while. Then I thought it might be Chad messing around, so I tried ignoring it, but I kept hearing it. I'd hear it, so I'd pause the TV. Then I wouldn't hear it, so I'd hit play and hear it a minute later. Keep in mind I was watching Medium and while I like that show, it kind of freaks me out.

After about 10 minutes of this weird noise, I had sufficiently worked myself into a little frenzy. So I tip toed quietly upstairs, all the while cursing the fact that I was completely unarmed. Whoever was at the top of the stairs making freaky noises, I was going to have to take them down with my bare hands. Luckily, I just worked out :)

Top of the stairs - nothing. Peeked outside on the front porch--nothing. Sneaked into the girl's rooms--nothing, well the kids were still there, but nothing weird. Made it to our room and enlisted Chad to come help me look for the freaky noise. (Chad is used to this by the way, I hear a lot of freaky noises at night and I always make him get up and check it out. He no longer argues, he just humors my paranoia. Enabler.)

Our upstairs search proved fruitless, so we went back downstairs and we heard it! Yawning/chatter...Pause...Yawning/chatter...Pause. Finally Chad opens my office door and says "Did you look in here?"

"Of course not. It was dark in there! You don't go looking for freaky things in dark rooms. Duh."

So the source of my terror - the kids left the internet on open to the Build A Bear website. There was a little bear talking, waving and I guess because he had to sit for so long waiting for one of my darling daughters to return...yawning.

Seriously, I'm losing it, but I always knew bears were freaky. :)

Comments

You seriously crack me up....I can't tell you that enough! I'm so glad you have Chad. You two seem to be the perfect compliment to each other....and necessary "enabler" when needed. I hate freaky noises. There was one night in particular that I was home alone late at night while Jason was still at his studio and was totally wigged out for some reason. I called Jason in almost pure hysterics and he's trying to comfort me on the phone and then I start hearing tapping and weird noises on my window. I'm totally freaking out wanting him to come home and save me, and it was totally him. Enabler in the other extreme.....aaaaugh! Anyway, I'm glad that you've been keeping up on your exercising so that you can attack anyone who manages to get past your security system....yawning bears included! It was nice to chat with you today. Thanks for the smiles!!!

Popular Posts