Success thy name is chive risotto cake...

I have one good eater and one picky eater. Unfortunately good eater often succumbs to the peer pressure of picky eater and refuses to eat things I know she would like, just because refusing is so "in" right now. But I try. Mostly I try because I get really sick of eating the same things over and over. I want to branch out try recipies, but I've been scared because its quite posible I could make a whole meal and picky and her little sister "I fall down a lot" won't eat a single bite. Then I'm left with that motherly conundrum, do I say too bad for you or cave in and fix something else? (Don't worry, grandma, I'm a caver. No one goes to be hungry around here.)

Lately I've decided whatever. I'm going to cook, small people are going to eat. End of story. Months of work. Months. Tonight I made grilled flank steak, cut up raw veggies and chive risotto cakes. A chive risotto cake is cooked Abrorrio rice, greek yogurt, eggs, fontina cheese, minced chives, salt and pepper, which you form into a cake put a little panko bread crumbs on the outside of and pan fry. They are creamy on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Killer. I could eat an entire batch by myself. There are left overs actually and I'm thinking of putting a couple in a pan for dessert. :)

So on the each plate went a slice of steak, a rissotto cake and whatever veggies you chose for yourself - every person must eat at least one.

"What is this?"

"A chive risotto cake."

"Is it potatoes."

"Nope, its mostly rice."

"Huh, do I like it?"

"yep."

They each ate TWO and steak. And every time I turned around they were helping themselves to more cucumbers. I'm going to turn them into grown up eaters yet.

P.S. Recipe for Chive Risotto Cakes can be found in Ina Garten's latest cookbook - Back to Basics. If you don't have a Barefoot Contessa cookbook, this is a good one to start with. Lots of great recipes, which I now make all the time. 

Comments

Popular Posts