Christmas 2009

We had a lovely Christmas this year. In the tradition of the blogs of yesteryear, I give you, the recap...

Christmas Eve
We had Christmas Eve dinner at my parents, which was delicious, as always. It was mom's first time really cooking in her new kitchen. We originally planned to eat at 5 PM at about 5:30 we were still working away. Sensing some stress, Dad asked "Doesn't Christmas Eve last until midnight?"

"Uh huh," we grunted.

"Then we have almost 6 more hours to have Christmas Eve dinner, so don't worry about it."

After dinner we played BINGO and pin the ornament on the Christmas tree, both of which were requested by my darling daughters. They had a great time. Apparently, when you blindfold me and spin me around I have a wicked right slice. Hello wall.

Grace read us a story about the baby Jesus and the girls opened some new jammies. It was great to spend the evening with the whole family.

Christmas Day
Christmas morning we woke up to Brynn sleeping on our floor and Grace cuddled up in her bed playing her DS. I climbed in and snuggled up next to her. "Did Santa come?" I asked.

"Oh yeah," she replies, totally deadpan. "And he left me a note that I've been a good girl and I should keep up the good work. And he drank all the milk, but he only ate some of the cookies. Oh and there's a ton of presents, but not as many as last year."

Tradition: Santa Notes -- Chad always writes a note from Santa telling the girls how good they've been and telling them to keep working hard in school, being good sisters, cleaning their rooms, and of course thanking them for the cookies. A little holiday pep talk. It's pretty darling. They love the Santa love notes. Someday, when Santa is a faded, happy memory, I'm going to make Chad write a Dad love note. I think that will be a special memory to get a love note from your Daddy every Christmas.

We opened our presents and played for little while before heading to Grandma and Grandpa C's house for breakfast. We opened a few more presents there, before indulging in baked French toast, oranges and scrambled eggs. It was delish.

After breakfast, we headed to my parents for more presents, lunch and hanging out. For his gift I made my dad a huge batch of sugar cookies, which he graciously shared with everyone else. So we lounged around all day and people snacked, played games, napped, took care of babies, played on the computer, played the Wii, snacked some more. By bedtime the girls were wasted, it had been a busy, exciting, sugar filled day, so we put them to bed at my mom's and then played Guitar Hero until midnight.

We finally loaded up the car, moved our sleepy babies to their seats and headed home. Having not been home all day our house was a wreck, so I stayed up and tidied everything up and finally crashed around 2 AM.

It was a great, fun holiday with lots of laughter, food and family.

My favorite quote of the day came from my sweet baby Grace. She and Brynn both received an American Girl, a few clothes for their new dolls and doll beds. I'd been hesitant to buy such an expensive doll for Grace because she's not really a doll person, but mom bought them the dolls and the carriers, so I just got the extras.

Grace played with that doll so carefully all day, smoothing her hair, keeping her tiny things together in her doll case. At the end of the day, as Grace was tucking her doll into the darling little doll bed, she said to me "Mom, I'm being really careful and responsible with my doll."

"I know you are, baby. You're doing a nice job."

"Yeah," she agreed. "I'm really careful and I'm surprised, but this is really pretty fun."

Oh, she's just the best. Merry Christmas!

Comments

Popular Posts